Become a fan of Slashdot on Facebook

Technology

Turning Your PC Into a LAN-based Intercom? 25 25

AugstWest asks: "With all of the VOIP projects all over the net, and more and more of us geeks installing machiens in every room in the house, it hit me that we've got all the wiring and hardware necessary for a full-house intercom installed. Software, however, is another story. None of the VOIP projects I've been able to find can be easily adapted to instant-on lan voice communications. With a microphone hooked up to all of the machines throughout the house, shouldn't it be simple to set up instant-on voice software? I've scoured the net for it, does any already exist?"

Turning Your PC Into a LAN-based Intercom?

• by Anonymous Coward on Monday November 18, 2002 @05:14AM (#4695462)
    Throw one in every room ;)
  • Security (Score:4, Funny)

by theedge318 (622114) on Monday November 18, 2002 @06:47AM (#4695688)
    I hate to be a nay sayer about neat cross platform networking applications ... but as a Windows user (and a computer user in general), I understand that my computer is only secure when I remove it from a power source.

Therefore, I would not be inclined to install software that would allow people to listen in to conversations in my house.

If I had kids I definitely wouldn't run the software ... just in case they accidently managed to get a connection to "bedroom noises" ...

My parents had an old style intercom ... and I found out that by pushing the "End Transmission" Button when the line was closed, you were actually able to listen in to every other room in the house ... THANKFULLY, I can still say that I believe my parents are "celebate" :-)
  • by ericski (20503) on Monday November 18, 2002 @04:08PM (#4700196)
    Either
    1. Get up and go talk to them (unless you have a really big house.

2. Do what I do. I page my kids via the yell command and they usually reply via the what? response. This isn't always going to work because of collisions, crosstalk, and limited bandwidth but it doesn't cost that much, is cross platform, and very portable.
  • by MicklePickle (220905) on Tuesday November 19, 2002 @09:59PM (#4712128) Homepage
    I use this method as well. However the problem I have with the system is interrupt latency. Quite often interrupt response times could be as high as 1 minute. Even after repeated 'yell' commands, (especially when their faces are glued to the TV).

Sometimes the 'demand' and 'ultimatum' commands don't even get through.

Actually the problem could also be due to packet filtering. It is possible that they have a rather neat packet filter that filters out all those commands.

Oh well...

The fancy is indeed no other than a mode of memory emancipated from the order of space and time. -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge