Follow Slashdot stories on Twitter

Data Storage Media Music Hardware

Encoding Data for Audio Tape? 81

Posted by Cliff
from the Atari-and-TI-did-this-years-ago dept.
Kris_J asks: "I've recently purchased and installed an audio cassette deck for my PC. It makes recording to and from tape particularly painless, but I'm looking for some funky other stuff to try. Along the lines of my new old SuperDisk FD32MB that can store 32MB on a normal 1.44MB floppy, and my Cuttle Cart that can load Atari 2600 games from encoded audio I'm wondering if there's any program that can encode a file as audio that can survive being recorded to audio tape or compressed as an MP3. I'll worry about 'why' later."

Encoding Data for Audio Tape?

• Why not? (Score:3, Funny)

by fm6 (162816) on Tuesday December 30, 2003 @06:55PM (#7840697) Homepage Journal
    I'll worry about 'why' later.
    Spoken like a true hacker!
  • my question (Score:5, Funny)

by Zork the Almighty (599344) on Tuesday December 30, 2003 @09:51PM (#7842046) Journal
    Dear Slashdot: I'm looking for a way to store data so that the probability of recovering it is extremely low. I can't just delete the files since my company has a legal obligation to store them, so /dev/null is out of the question. Ideally I'd like some sort of crappy, hacked solution using media which is totally inappropriate and unreliable. I've already tried writing 32MB to 1.44MB floppy disks but that just wasn't bad enough. In your opinion, what is the shittiest data storage technology available ?
  • by Drunken_Jackass (325938) on Tuesday December 30, 2003 @10:01PM (#7842111) Homepage
    Geeze, i hope someone comes up with a solution to this dilemna. You see, i don't want to buy an iPod, because that would be too easy. Instead, i just bought a "Walkman" - it's this cool retro hardware that can play audio tapes while you walk...or sit, or stand even! So i need to find a way to convert my .mp3 collection to .wav files that i can then transfer to audio cassettes (or "tapes") so i can pop one of them into my Walkman and listen with reckless abandon while i park cars (i'm a valet).

I hope this is possible. I want to see if i can induce some sort of ass-backwards, retro-technical vortex that will suck cars from one location to another.

"It's my cookie file and if I come up with something that's lame and I like it, it goes in." -- karl (Karl Lehenbauer)