Please create an account to participate in the Slashdot moderation system

×
Graphics Software

Simple 2D Animation Software for UNIX-like OSes 51

Posted by Cliff
from the building-cartoons-without-windows dept.
BSDanimation asks: "I want to create slide based cartoon-like animations with speech bubbles and simple programmable 2D effects in a widely accepted format like MPEG or AVI. I have considered using Ming to code a Flash animation, but then decided against Flash and would prefer to stay away from such proprietary formats. Blender seems nice, but is too complex and a complete overkill. OpenOffice presentations seem promising, but I am not sure if it is possible to program effects and speech bubbles in it and export such presentations into a format other than Flash. What free UNIX-like OS based open source software is there for such simple 2D animation that would also allow me to distribute my animations commercially without any licensing restrictions?"

Simple 2D Animation Software for UNIX-like OSes

A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming is not worth knowing.