For the out-of-band Slashdot experience (mostly headlines), follow us on Twitter, or Facebook. ×
Operating Systems Software

What Live CDs Do You Carry Around? 184 184

TPC asks: "I recently acquired a small CD case that fits 12 CDs. I figured that it would be useful to always carry around a few CDs to use when helping others with computer issues, or in case something goes wrong with my own computer. However, I'm having a hard time deciding what CDs to pick, and there are probably many hidden gems out there. I'm sure I'm not the first person with this idea, so I ask you: What 12 live (and otherwise) CDs would you carry around?"

What Live CDs Do You Carry Around?

• Live? (Score:5, Funny)

by east coast (590680) on Thursday November 30, 2006 @12:32AM (#17044874)
    "Different Stages" by Rush... but that's obviously not what you mean.
  • by _damnit_ (1143) on Thursday November 30, 2006 @01:20AM (#17045338) Journal
    Great album. Won't help much with fixing your Mom's computer though.
  • Re:Knoppix (Score:4, Funny)

by X0563511 (793323) * on Thursday November 30, 2006 @01:50AM (#17045554) Homepage Journal
    Whoops, forgot to give you even a cursory description. From the main page:
    Description: SystemRescueCd is a linux system on a bootable cdrom for repairing your system and your data after a crash. It also aims to provide an easy way to carry out admin tasks on your computer, such as creating and editing the partitions of the hard disk. It contains a lot of system utilities (parted, partimage, fstools, ...) and basic ones (editors, midnight commander, network tools). It aims to be very easy to use: just boot from the cdrom, and you can do everything. The kernel of the system supports most important file systems (ext2/ext3, reiserfs, reiser4, xfs, jfs, vfat, ntfs, iso9660), and network ones (samba and nfs).

Note to moderators: please do not moderate this post up, unless it falls beneath the default threshhold - unless the parent post falls below as well. I want this information visible and I simply forgot to add it to the parent post, and do not wish moderation points to be wasted. Thanks.
  • HURD (Score:3, Funny)

by Samrobb (12731) on Thursday November 30, 2006 @02:55AM (#17045922) Homepage Journal

No, seriously [superunprivileged.org]... whenever a system crashes, you can pop it in, and BAM - you get the certain knowledge that, no matter how bad things might be, you're at least one step above absolute rock bottom.

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. -- Albert Einstein