Catch up on stories from the past week (and beyond) at the Slashdot story archive

×
Education

A Teacher Asking Students To Destroy Notes? 931

Posted by Soulskill
from the learn-until-the-test dept.
zwei2stein writes "I found this question with far-reaching implications in the off-topic section of a forum I frequent: 'My economics teacher is forcing us to give up all of our work for the semester. Every page of notes and paper must be turned over to her to be destroyed to prevent future students from copying it. My binder was in my backpack, and she went into my backpack to take it. Is that legal?' Besides the issue with private property invasion, which was the trigger of that post, there is much more important question: Can a teacher ask a student not to retain knowledge? How does IP law relate to teaching and sharing knowledge? Whose property are those notes?"

A Teacher Asking Students To Destroy Notes?

You can not win the game, and you are not allowed to stop playing. -- The Third Law Of Thermodynamics