Become a fan of Slashdot on Facebook

For the out-of-band Slashdot experience (mostly headlines), follow us on Twitter, or Facebook. ×
Portables Hardware

Rugged Laptop/Tablet Suggestions, 2010 Version? 249 249

robbievienna writes "I'm currently living in the Arabian desert. Typically, unless a building has been sealed against the elements, sand and dust get everywhere. I purchased a keyboard cover for one of my laptops, and noticed that there was more accumulation on the underside than the topside. I've had sand crunk up the guts of one laptop and one tablet (Nokia N810). My coworkers who are native to the region tend to trade out their technology every six to twelve months, but I don't want to migrate data and adjust to new hardware that frequently. I was wondering what suggestions people have for working in this type of environment — both for laptops and for tablets. For reference, I work in a pseudo-secured zone where computers (phones, etc.) are not permitted to have cameras. A DVD drive would be nice, but is unnecessary. The more USB ports, the better. The last time the question was posted on Slashdot was five years ago, so I'm presuming that there are new industry leaders."

Rugged Laptop/Tablet Suggestions, 2010 Version?

The early bird who catches the worm works for someone who comes in late and owns the worm farm. -- Travis McGee