Data Storage Privacy

Web-Based Private File Storage? 467

Posted by kdawson
from the dead-servers-tell-no-tales dept.
steve802 writes "Recently, someone died in our company, and word is getting around that the admins who were given access to his Outlook account have found personal things that are embarrassing at best (the rumor mill differs on what was found). No matter, it raises a question. I have personal stuff in Outlook folders that I would not want someone in IT to see if I suddenly dropped dead: emails to the wife, photos of the kids, that kind of thing. I also keep a journal at home that I save to a server; personal reflections that I never want anyone else to see, especially if I die. So I was thinking that some sort of web-based storage for files, individual emails, and perhaps even Outlook folders would be perfect. All my most private personal stuff in one place. I found CryptoHeaven, which seems to offer some of what I'm looking for — but it is pricey. I'm willing to pay, but something less than $400/year would be nice. Best would be a service with a dead-man's switch, so that if I don't access it in, say, three months, it auto-purges. Any thoughts?"

Web-Based Private File Storage?

• GOOGLE MAIL (Score:1, Informative)

by stanlyb (1839382) on Friday August 06, 2010 @02:16PM (#33165512)
    Create a google email account.... Nooo, i am just joking.
  • TrueCrypt? (Score:2, Informative)

by e065c8515d206cb0e190 (1785896) on Friday August 06, 2010 @02:17PM (#33165528)
    Why does it have to be web based? If the only requirement is absolute privacy, TrueCrypt will suffice.
  • by Maarx (1794262) on Friday August 06, 2010 @02:18PM (#33165550)

Web-Based Private is an oxymoron. Why does this have to be web-based?

It would be pretty trivial to set up a Linux distro with two hard drives, one with the simple operating system and the other an encrypted drive with a passphrase, and set up the OS to nuke the second drive if the current time is ever greater than three months from the last time the passphrase was successfully supplied.

• Re:Separate them (Score:5, Informative)

by shentino (1139071) on Friday August 06, 2010 @02:22PM (#33165648)

Indeed.

Best solution to keeping your boss out of your personal stuff? Don't do personal stuff on company time.

• Re:Freenet (Score:3, Informative)

by 0100010001010011 (652467) on Friday August 06, 2010 @02:37PM (#33165882)

I have Chrome, Thunderbird, my MP3 player and DropBox on TrueCrypt partitions.

Computer is PowerCycled and it's "gone". Since speed isn't a huge factor I went paranoid and went with AES-Twofish-Serpent. Good luck recovering my stuff.

I use DreamHost [dreamhost.com] for my mail/webserver. They're not 5-9s but they're cheap and still seem like they are a "small company". Plus they wrote Ceph [newdream.net], (distributed/scalable file system, which merged into 2.6.34.)

I'm sure you could write cron script or something to run on the shell to do what you're talking.

• Re:TrueCrypt? (Score:5, Informative)

by ds_job (896062) on Friday August 06, 2010 @02:39PM (#33165926)
    Which is what the two key "Plausible Deniability" feature is all about:
    http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=plausible-deniability [truecrypt.org]
  • SpiderOak.com (Score:1, Informative)

by Anonymous Coward on Friday August 06, 2010 @02:45PM (#33166036)
    I use spideroak.com as it is convenient, multiplatform, synchronizes across machines, provides a backup and is secure through encryption on my local machine - and it is free.
  • Re:TrueCrypt? (Score:4, Informative)

by Andy Dodd (701) <atd7@@@cornell...edu> on Friday August 06, 2010 @02:51PM (#33166160) Homepage

Portable TrueCrypt requires admin rights.

• Re:Freenet (Score:0, Informative)

by Anonymous Coward on Friday August 06, 2010 @03:26PM (#33166764)

Please don't respond to commodore64_love, he's retarded and you're just encouraging him. Thanks.

• My two cents. (Score:2, Informative)

by istvaan (66491) on Friday August 06, 2010 @04:05PM (#33167358) Homepage

My thoughts are similar to those which have already been posted, but here's my two cents anyways.

1.) Do something about that IT staff. Their behavior is unprofessional at best, borderline illegal at worst. As Network and Systems Administrators, we essentially have the "keys to the kingdom." As such, it is our responsibility to exercise professionalism and discretion at all times. We are entrusted with this data -- employee data, customer data, what-have-you -- because it needs to be managed, secured, transported, and we know how to do that. When I ponder this, it sometimes brings to mind a line from Angels & Demons: "Be delicate with our treasures." If management has asked that the late co-worker's email be opened and archived, and that email happens to contain pictures of him in a tutu and a snorkel dancing hip-deep in a lake, and IT happens to see these photos, it is their responsibility to maintain their professionalism, and to say nothing about it.

2.) Do not, for any reason, store personal data on company resources. Period. Company resources belong to the company, and, as such, the company has the right to inspect any and all data which those resources may contain. My personal data on my laptop, and my personal mail (which sits on an IMAP server which I administer and to which I have physical access) are backed up to DVD every quarter, and those DVDs are placed in an envelope in a sealed plastic bag - along with a hardcopy of my password spreadsheet - in a safe-deposit box. My Will clearly states who gets access to that box if I should happen to fall under a bus, as does the paperwork at the institution which houses the box. It's not the fanciest solution, but it's effective, and I like it.

• by hairyfeet (841228) <{bassbeast1968} {at} {gmail.com}> on Friday August 06, 2010 @04:06PM (#33167364) Journal

Uhhhh...let me get this straight, maybe I'm misunderstanding you...You would WANT your family to know you were into Tranny Grannies and midget bukkake? Because lets be honest here, he is most likely asking the question because he has a fetish he has kept wifeypoo in the dark about and don't want her and the rest of the family to know about when he kicks the bucket. This isn't some deep dark poetry of his soul here, most likely one of your standard kinks you can get off any site like RedPorn.

If I had to guess, based on what I've dealt with here at the shop, it will be either Trannies, B&D/S&M, or piss/shit related. Not exactly what you would want anyone trying to "dig deeper into your mind" to actually know you got a boner over bud. If I had to lay money I would bet on the trannies or B&D/S&M, as those two seem to be relatively popular yet people act like it was goat porn or something. I guess they figure it makes them "unmanly" or something, but as I tell my customers "As long as there is nothing illegal on the desktop I frankly don't care what you look at, because unless it is on the desktop on Windows folders or you specifically tell me to back up the folder you have it in I ain't gonna know about because I don't snoop". But folks act like they have to be some big deviant or something just because they have a porn collection. Big fricking deal.

• by jotaeleemeese (303437) on Sunday August 08, 2010 @07:28AM (#33179358) Homepage Journal

.... if companies didn't encroach in personal time.

When all else fails, read the instructions.