Catch up on stories from the past week (and beyond) at the Slashdot story archive

News

Ask Slashdot: Geeky Volunteer Work? 229

Posted by CmdrTaco
from the lend-a-hand dept.
An anonymous reader writes "I plan to be in-between jobs for 1-2 months later this year and use part of this time to do some volunteer work in Africa. My naive question: what to do and where to go? Is it possible to make good use of the skill-set of a typical geek? Any interesting projects worth supporting on-site?"

Ask Slashdot: Geeky Volunteer Work?

• Re:Why Africa? (Score:2, Interesting)

by Anonymous Coward on Monday July 25, 2011 @12:09PM (#36872660)
    Off-topic, but where I live, senior teachers approach the six-figure mark, in an area where the median income is half that. I wouldn't call them under-paid, but of my friends who are teachers, they still have that oh-so-wonderful "teacher personality". My wife (a former teacher herself) and I think it's caused by being absolute ruler of your small domain, and being the most intelligent person in your group for 6 hours a day. You start to think of yourself as more intelligent that everyone, not just the group of 9-year olds you normally hang out with. It just becomes how you interact with people.

The Wright Bothers weren't the first to fly. They were just the first not to crash.