Books Technology

Ask Slashdot: Ebook Reader for Scientific Papers? 254

Posted by Unknown Lamer
from the digital-science-is-fun dept.
An anonymous reader writes "I love the idea of getting an ebook reader primarily for reading research journal papers. However I've heard bad things about the handling of PDFs on the major ones. I don't particularly care for color, but having an e-ink display and the ability to handle PDF/PS docs without conversion would be a major plus. I'd even be open to a hacked Kindle running Linux if it were practical. Does any good solution exist?" A few months ago I found the Asus Eee Note (some folks even figured out how the software works and got it to run other Qt apps), but my hopes were dashed when I learned they had killed it before it even arrived in the U.S. It seems right now that this particular niche is not being served: or is it?

Ask Slashdot: Ebook Reader for Scientific Papers?

• Screen too small (Score:5, Insightful)

by Roger W Moore (538166) on Thursday August 18, 2011 @10:51PM (#37137736) Journal
    Current e-ink screens, while very nice outdoors, are far too small for a scientific paper. Until there is an A4-sized e-ink device you will not be able to use it to read scientific papers. I've found that using a tablet is the best way to go so far. While the screen is lower resolution and not very good outside the advantage is that it updates very quickly so it is easy to enlarge plots, enlarge the text and scroll around the now too-big-for-the-screen page etc. which you cannot do with e-ink.

If they ever release an affordable A4/letter e-ink device which displays PDFs then I'd go for that but until then tablets seem to be the best for scientific papers.

Whoever dies with the most toys wins.