Slashdot is powered by your submissions, so send in your scoop

Slashdot Deals: Deal of the Day - Pay What You Want for the Learn to Code Bundle, includes AngularJS, Python, HTML5, Ruby, and more. ×
Communications Software Spam Windows

Ask Slashdot: Spoof an Email Bounce With Windows? 244

An anonymous reader writes "One cool feature I used on KMail years ago was the ability to generate a spoofed email bounce for any given message I had received, which claimed delivery failed because of an unknown recipient. While this doesn't exactly align with expected behaviour from a mail client, it was a useful way of easily getting off mailing lists (automated, or manually created by freaky acquaintances!). This is something I really miss, so I'm wondering if there are any mail clients for Windows that provide similar functionality?"

Ask Slashdot: Spoof an Email Bounce With Windows?

• Outlook (Score:3, Informative)

by TheRealMindChild (743925) on Sunday November 06, 2011 @01:37PM (#37966852) Homepage Journal
    I'm not a fan of MS Outlook, but it's integrated VBA makes writing a custom plugin easy and painless. Visual Basic in any flavor had a bad stigma, however, having a development environment right in the application is exactly what I would think would solve your problem effectively.
  • KDE on Windows? (Score:5, Informative)

by Gwala (309968) <adam@gwala . n et> on Sunday November 06, 2011 @01:38PM (#37966860) Homepage

Doesn't KDE run on Windows these days? You could probably just run KMail directly...

• Usefulness (Score:5, Informative)

by MicroSlut (2478760) on Sunday November 06, 2011 @01:47PM (#37966956)
    Not even a 550 SMTP session will get you off most mailing lists because, even if it is a legitimate list, the marketers are too aggressive to care. Also, a NDR after a successful session will likely go to either an unmonitored mailbox, a hapless user who won't understand it, or null. Weed through some email logs and you'll see. I see some lists that have been emailing the same address for ten years and I always disconnect with a 550. That said, try Pegasus Mail. I find that it does almost anything.
  • Check out Eudora (Score:4, Informative)

by Rudolf (43885) on Sunday November 06, 2011 @01:50PM (#37967002)

Eudora had this feature in the past, so you might want to look at it and see if it still does. []

It's apparently open source now, so if you could add this feature if it doesn't exist.

• Re:Mail Washer (Score:4, Informative)

by Skippy_kangaroo (850507) on Sunday November 06, 2011 @02:03PM (#37967104)

While the spammy advertisement would normally warrant no attention, it does raise a point that is worth noting:

Because the from address is invariably forged, you do nothing with a bounce. In fact, it's worse than nothing, because you create backscatter []. I have suffered from backscatter and it is a pain - it just multiplies the spam problem. So, could I request that you just stop it!

• by unrtst (777550) on Sunday November 06, 2011 @02:22PM (#37967286)

alpine is also truly free software now.

FYI, alpine was pine. UW forked it, added a better build system, put it under a new license, released it as alpine, then discontinued development. The community has taken that and created the re-alpine project on sourceforge, where you can find the latest version. re-alpine []

Development continues, but isn't exactly what I'd call "active". But it's an ancient email client, and there's really not all that much that could be added. I still find it indispensable and use it constantly and I'm quite happy with it.

You never said you needed a windows-like UI, so this qualifies for the request, but YMMV.

• by BlortHorc (305555) on Sunday November 06, 2011 @02:40PM (#37967440)

At least since KDE 4, and from what I recall, maybe 3.4 or even 3.3, this feature was dropped.

Your time to bitch about it? That would be thataway.

• by weave (48069) on Sunday November 06, 2011 @02:51PM (#37967522) Journal

I own a domain of (for example) that I have wildcarded to my INBOX. I get A LOT of all sorts of interesting misdirected emails meant for and including invoices, meeting confirmation messages, and frantic "why aren't you answering my email messages"

In Mail.APP on the Mac I used to do a bounce and they'd see that they screwed up and stop. If I send a personal email explaining often people go ape shit and get paranoid wondering why I am reading their email. (Unfortunately Apple removed that functionality as well)

So sometimes a more impersonal response IS better.

ps, yeah, I know, I could fiddle with my MTA and have it refuse the repeat offenders.... and I do now. Not as convenient though.

• Re:KDE on Windows? (Score:3, Informative)

by Anonymous Coward on Sunday November 06, 2011 @02:59PM (#37967594)

Or you could just use the KDE installer:

• by Pence128 (1389345) on Sunday November 06, 2011 @07:59PM (#37969550)
    I just fucking Googled it. [] Last result on the first page nails it.

"Summit meetings tend to be like panda matings. The expectations are always high, and the results usually disappointing." -- Robert Orben