Become a fan of Slashdot on Facebook

×
Music Networking

Ask Slashdot: Overhauling an Amusement Park's Multi-Zone Audio Player? 120

from the this-sounds-like-a-fun-job dept.
mcmadman writes "The multi-zone audio player I'm working with uses an almost decade old card/software combo that is prone to crashes and other anomalies. I would like to know if there are open source (read 'free') or other alternatives that would allow multiple simultaneous playlists played through the myriad of audio interfaces out there. The line outs are then plugged into a CobraNet matrix, which handles the distribution of the music/sound to their respective areas. I'm looking at eight channels minimum, timed playlist start/stops, and triggered announcements. So far the only software and hardware I've found are proprietary broadcasting solutions which tend to be a bit heavy on the wallet or meant for home use."

Ask Slashdot: Overhauling an Amusement Park's Multi-Zone Audio Player?

• Awesome! (Score:0, Insightful)

by Anonymous Coward on Tuesday May 01, 2012 @11:44AM (#39858619)

Can I crowd-source my job too?

• by blocsync (320897) on Tuesday May 01, 2012 @12:02PM (#39858847) Homepage

First off, I've never done this with FOSS... That being said, I'm 100% certain it can be done..

You need to accept a couple of things when planning to do this with FOSS:
        Remote management can be done, but will require someone who understands the way you set it up
        You will probably be custom scripting when your playlists start (cron?)
        Updates will require manual playlist modification (goes back to understanding how you set it up)

For an amusement park, I think this is a bad idea... Not sure how big of an IT/Tech savvy staff this location has, but while they're looking to save a few dollars today, are they considering business continuity if you leave or if something happens to this custom system? are they planning to have regular backups done? are they planning for future expansion? etc...

My personal advice would be to avoid broadcast software (Way overpriced for this).... What would be more reasonable is digital signage software... it's designed to do this with audio and video, but you don't have to use the video portions (of course, consider that a future expansion option)... If you want to stick with linux based, I know ParkMedia has a decent setup... If you're willing to consider other (windows) options check into CoolSign.... Those are just 2 that I've used for similar setups, but there are tons of options in that field, that do what you want to do, with easy user interfaces for changing/moving stuff around, and the ability to remote manage them... Also they tend to work in a client server setup, so you back up the server regularly and if a client machine fails you just replace it.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

• by MushMouth (5650) on Tuesday May 01, 2012 @12:38PM (#39859331) Homepage

Don't forget liability when the s$#! hits the fan and a lost child or evacuation announcement has to be made and the PA override fails. Rolling your own sounds penny wise pound foolish.

Vax Vobiscum