Catch up on stories from the past week (and beyond) at the Slashdot story archive

Programming

Ask Slashdot: No-Install Programming At Work? 386

from the you-were-never-here dept.
An anonymous reader writes "Hello! Every summer (and other holidays) the work load at my job becomes minimal. I like scripting (HTML, CSS etc.) and would like to get into programming just to tinker a bit due to curiosity. At work we are not allowed to install anything except company approved software. Is there something I can program in that has an IDE like PortableApps.com? I guess I am asking for a recommendation on both language and IDE at the same time. Again, I want to reiterate that this is to satisfy my tinkering curiosity and thus not need something great, just something more advanced than HTML/CSS."

Ask Slashdot: No-Install Programming At Work?

• Portable Python? (Score:5, Interesting)

by PCM2 (4486) on Saturday June 23, 2012 @04:19PM (#40422945) Homepage

You don't say much about language preference, but would Portable Python [portablepython.com] fill the bill? I know you asked for an IDE as well, and there might be options for that -- or really any text editor will do -- but this might be a place to start.

• Here (Score:3, Interesting)

by ultranerdz (1718606) on Saturday June 23, 2012 @04:31PM (#40423049)
  • Re:Uhh (Score:5, Interesting)

by History's Coming To (1059484) on Saturday June 23, 2012 @05:02PM (#40423269) Journal
    My previous employer included something along the lines of "any program or invention written while in our employ belongs to the company, whether or not it relates to the business".

Simple solution, point out that this includes ownership of any malware I might write.
  • Re:Uhh (Score:5, Interesting)

by Jane Q. Public (1010737) on Saturday June 23, 2012 @05:14PM (#40423333)

"The ownership of anything you do during your work hours would be in question (at best)."

He was asking about learning how to program. It is not likely that he will come up with the next "killer app" in the process. Although what you say is good advice, it probably could have waited a year or two.

As for paying work, he already stated that work was slow. Better that he spend the time learning something that might be somewhat job-related, than spend half a day on Reddit.

• C# and a console (Score:4, Interesting)

by luckymutt (996573) on Saturday June 23, 2012 @05:41PM (#40423527)
    I found myself in a similar situation at a previous job where I was bored out of my skull due to a lack of work at the company during the down economy.
    So I decided to teach myself some more programming skills.
    Unfortunately, I was in the same position where I couldn't install anything.

Find csc.exe on your machine. All Windows machines have this. Buried down in here: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET
    Put it in your path.
    Now you can write all the C# applications you want in Notepad. If you can get Notepad++ then it would make it a lot easier as it has code-coloring/indentation. I was able to install it by bringing the installer in on a flash drive. Being just an advanced notepad, I didn't worry about what would happen if someone noticed the install.
    You can compile it via the command line with >csc.exe
    You'll then have a nice little executable of whatever you made. And you may be surprised how complex of an application you can make this way...maybe you wouldn't. This approach sure helped fill my days for a while there.
  • Re:JavaScript (Score:5, Interesting)

by Anonymous Coward on Saturday June 23, 2012 @07:12PM (#40424191)

Most of those are legacy, but you can live with that

1. "use strict;" is not a hack, but an official part of ECMA-262 v5 (and it should be mandatory for dev environment and should be mandatory OFF for release). And it can't be on by default for fear of breaking old and shitty code.
    2. Only catches about ASI are "return\n2+2" (gonna be interpreted as "return; 2+2", see also your 7) and "var a = someFunction\n(expressioninparensonnextlineforsomereason())" (gonna be interpreted as function call, "someFunction(expressioninparensonnextlineforsomereason())")
    3. Modern JS engines optimise the numerics well enough. You can also use typed arrays for performance - if you're writing performance sensitive JS code, you're probably doing it in an environment that supports them, anyways.
    4. String continuation like that is in ECMA-262 v5 officially and in browsers long before that unofficially - at least IE6 already has them, and you won't probably deal with anything before.
    5. As long as one side of + is string - you get string. What you really have to care about is _addition_, because you might accidentally get concatenation (can't count how many times I saw "123.5undefined" on shitty sites). They really should have chosen separate concatenation and addition, but in personal practice I've had almost no problems of this kind
    6. This is consequence of trying to make JS too general - the spec and standard library basically has nothing related to execution environment. They should've included module system, but they've got _no_ I/O at all in the spec.
    8. I don't think there are many languages where debugger just shows you the closure's variables. You have to step inside, and you'll see the closed variables in the scope, though.

All in all, JS sucks about just as much/as little as any other language out there.

• Re:Uhh (Score:5, Interesting)

by master_kaos (1027308) on Saturday June 23, 2012 @08:41PM (#40424859)
    Glad I don't work at a place like that. At my place when it is slow I am pretty much allowed to do whatever I want (managers approval). I usually tinker around with technology that I normaly do not get to use. Quite a bit of my tinkering arond has made me a better developer, as well as introduced new technology into our existing projects to make them even better. My boss was so pleased with my "screwing around" that now he has implemented a google style "20% time" (as long as no major deadline for something) where we can do whatever he hell we want one day a week (although generally I find it more efffective saving the days and doing 4 days in a row). Can do anything from playing with technology, to reading tech magazines, reading development books THe thing my manager loved the most that I did was screwing around with solr which we ended up implementing into our flagship product and upping revenue by 15%

One can't proceed from the informal to the formal by formal means.