Slashdot stories can be listened to in audio form via an RSS feed, as read by our own robotic overlord.

IOS Perl Programming

Ask Slashdot: Best Approach To Reenergize an Old Programmer? 360

Posted by samzenpus
from the get-back-in-the-game dept.
StonyCreekBare writes "I started out programming in Z80 assembler in the 1970s. Then I programmed in Pascal. Then x86 Assembler in the early '90s. Over time I did a smattering of C, Basic, Visual C++, Visual Basic, and even played at Smalltalk. Most recently I settled on Perl, and Perl/Tk as the favorite 'Swiss army Chainsaw' tool set, and modestly consider myself reasonably competent with that. But suddenly, in this tight financial environment I need to find a way to get paid for programming, and perl seems so 'yesterday.' The two hot areas I see are iOS programming and Python, perhaps to a lesser extent, Java. I need to modernize my skill-set and make myself attractive to employers. I recently started the CS193P Stanford course on iTunesU to learn iPad programming, but am finding it tough going. I think I can crack it, but it will take some time, and I need a paycheck sooner rather than later. What does the Slashdot crowd see as the best path to fame, wealth and full employment for gray-haired old coots who love to program?"

Ask Slashdot: Best Approach To Reenergize an Old Programmer?

• Re:Truth. (Score:5, Funny)

by Anonymous Coward on Thursday October 11, 2012 @11:52PM (#41627317)
    Why, you lonely?
  • by Anonymous Coward on Friday October 12, 2012 @02:26AM (#41628079)

This:
          style
          is
          not:
                readable:
                      at all
                      i find it to be
                      terrible because:
                            the arrow pattern
                            is not a good code style

oops here's a new function, what a nice:
          unreadable gap:
                right above

No, seriously. Python is a terrible language. No language should encourage constructs like this (illustrated with curly braces):

{
          {
                {
                      {
                            {
                            }
                      }
                }
          }
    }

The pythonic way is the wrong way.

• by Jesus_666 (702802) on Friday October 12, 2012 @02:50AM (#41628179)
    Oh, come on. Comparing PHP to PCP is a bit harsh. I mean, one is dangerous and can lead to violent behavior and suicide and the other doesn't have a function called mysqli_real_escape_string().
  • by SmallFurryCreature (593017) on Friday October 12, 2012 @03:10AM (#41628283) Journal

Lets face it, your old, fat and ugly and if you sit in the interview chair, you overflow and make the property value shed 10% of its value.

So, what can you do to make yourself attractive to the lead developer who is probably younger then you and convinced that anyone older is senile?

Well, how about this:

I know how to debug and love solving problems in an application, I really get a kick out of digging out obscure errors from customer tickets and fix them.

---

Suddenly, your salary and other requirements will seem insignificant if the person interviewing you has spent ANY time in development. There are plenty of hotshot kiddies around who want and can program the next big thing but try to get them to fix an issue that is having the customer treatening to leave and they can't/won't want to do it.

Sure debugging sucks and it ensures the remainder of your life is a joyless misery stretched out for... well lets face it, at your age, next week when you will die of a heart attack on the toilet and the paramedics will make fun of your penis.

Reality check is in order, age discrimination exists in IT so make it work in your favor. Old farts are not hip with the on thing dog (see how hip I am?) but young whipper snappers don't know about quality or getting things done or security or stability... so sell yourself on your perceived strengths. Make that young dynamic team think you are going to help them be more professional and NOT hitting the 20th something boss with your cane telling him to speak up.

I would stay away from stuff like iOS, you can't sell the benefit of your experience and the patience of old age to an industry that thinks long term planning is thinking what to do for lunch at 11:00am. None of the languages you have used have gone out of use but focusing on language is the wrong thing, there is always a kid with a longer list. He can't do shit in it but the list is there. Instead, focus on core experience, on understanding of the industry on acquired wisdom...

That is... if you acquired any.

• by roman_mir (125474) on Friday October 12, 2012 @05:56AM (#41629029) Homepage Journal

Cold fusion?

Well, if I am reading the story headline correctly, you may be onto something:

Best Approach To Reenergize an Old Programmer?

I was thinking about suggesting a USB port, it carries 5 volts up to 100mA (standard), but I think your idea is better.

• by Anonymous Coward on Friday October 12, 2012 @08:17AM (#41629929)

USB? Dude, we're talking about OLD programmers. You're lucky if they have a PS/2 connector.

• Re:C/C++ (Score:5, Funny)

by phantomfive (622387) on Friday October 12, 2012 @10:28AM (#41631793) Journal

I know highly seasoned C and C++ coders,

OK, stop right there, I am a seasoned C and C++ coder. And if you're not, I don't care what you think.

When a resume crosses my desk with "C/C++" on it, I know exactly where to put it---in the dumpster.

Thanks for the tip, I'll put it on my resume. I'd hate to accidentally work with you.

Bus error -- please leave by the rear door.