Education

Ask Slashdot: Finding Work Over 60? 306

from the speak-up-sonny dept.
First time accepted submitter Hatfield56 writes "I've been in IT since the mid-1980s, mainly working for financial institutions. After 16 years at a company, as a programmer (Java, C#, PL/SQL, some Unix scripting) and technical lead, my job was outsourced. That was in 2009 when the job market was basically dead. After many false starts, here I am 3 years later wondering what to do. I'm sure if I were 40 I'd be working already but over 60 you might as well be dead. SO, I'm wondering about A+. Does anyone think that this will make me more employable? Or should I being a greeter at Walmart?"

Ask Slashdot: Finding Work Over 60?

• IT jobs at 60. (Score:4, Informative)

by Anonymous Coward on Thursday November 08, 2012 @02:43PM (#41921841)

I feel for you. I was laid off 6 years ago at 50 and I finally got a state IT tech job for way, waaaaayyyyyy less money.

I have almost built back up to where I was 7 years sgo but it was tough.

A+ or any of the other minor certs will not make much difference in your job marketability.

• A+ (Score:3, Informative)

by Niris (1443675) on Thursday November 08, 2012 @02:45PM (#41921865)
    Having taken the A+, Network+ and Security+ as a requirement for my current job, I can tell you that they're not worth a damn thing. The tests are simple and they just check basic knowledge that you probably already have as a programmer. You could always go the route a lot of fresh grads who are also not working do: start writing apps. Games are fun, easy and profitable enough if done well. Plus there's a slew of tools to make them quickly produceable. Lately I've been playing with the AppGameKit (AGK) from the Game Creators, and I like it. They have a free version that you could try out and see if it's something you'd be interested in.
  • Try Urbana, Maryland (Score:4, Informative)

by i_want_you_to_throw_ (559379) on Thursday November 08, 2012 @02:46PM (#41921889) Homepage Journal
    If you spent that much time in financial institutions, the think about Urbana, Maryland. Banner Life has a data center there, as well as Fannie Mae, and the Social Security Administration is moving a data center there. It's pretty good bucks, but far enough outside the DC metro area to be at least reasonable. Just an idea.
  • by Xacid (560407) on Thursday November 08, 2012 @03:03PM (#41922241) Journal

But when I interview I look for a few things: technical merit, reliable, personality, enthusiasm.

It doesn't even cross my mind that an older candidate wouldn't be qualified. Often, I expect them to have a mountain of experience that could get absorbed into the company. What I've run into though is the older folks often don't have that "nerd enthusiasm", haven't kept their skills current, or are just stuffy with no sense of humor. Maybe it's a generational thing? But a young person with the same ailments wouldn't have a shot here either.

• Re:IT jobs at 60. (Score:5, Informative)

by eln (21727) on Thursday November 08, 2012 @03:08PM (#41922329) Homepage
    Just so you know, asking an older person for their retirement plans in an interview or at any point during the hiring process can open you up to a very costly age discrimination lawsuit. Not hiring people over 40 because you think they'll ask for too much money will do the same. If you're simply reporting that people that age tend to ask for too much money that's one thing, but if you're proactively screening out older applicants because you think they might ask for too much money, that's against the law.
  • Re:Asbestos Removal (Score:4, Informative)

by CastrTroy (595695) on Thursday November 08, 2012 @04:37PM (#41923731) Homepage
    I actually recall a bunch of older Japanese people wanting to help out with the clean-up specifically because of this reason. If cancer won't hit you until 30 years after exposure, they it's probably not that bad of an idea to help out with nuclear waste clean-up when you are 60 or 70. It's quite altruistic if you ask me.
  • by Vrtigo1 (1303147) on Thursday November 08, 2012 @06:18PM (#41925085)
    There's literally no point in getting a degree in network administration if you already have a degree. The only reason to get any degree at all in that field is for those places that absolutely won't hire someone without one, otherwise you can get plenty of work with no degree at all. The network administrator classes teach you only the very basic material, most of which you probably already know and only a small amount of what they teach you is applicable in the real world anyway.

The best way to learn networking is by doing. Especially if you are talking about getting into Cisco, etc. There are so many specialized things out there, they may teach you basic stuff but the interesting stuff you learn OTJ. If you want to get into networking what you need to do is get a job for a consulting company that does only networking. It's hard, but if you're willing to accept low pay for a while the experience you get will allow you to jump to higher paying positions inside of a year or two.

Good salesmen and good repairmen will never go hungry. -- R.E. Schenk