Linux Hardware

Ask Slashdot: Linux-Friendly Motherboard Manufacturers? 352

Posted by Soulskill
from the soldering-iron-and-a-chunk-of-silicon dept.
dotancohen writes "I am tasked with building a few Linux machines for a small office. However, many the currently available motherboards seem to be Linux-hostile. For instance, in addition to the whole UEFI issue, my last install was a three-day affair due to the motherboard reporting a Linux-supported ethernet device (the common RTL8168) while it was actually using a GbE Ethernet device that does not work with the legacy drivers and didn't even work with a test Windows 7 install until the driver disk was installed. There are no current hardware compatibility lists for Debian or Ubuntu and I've received from Asus and Gigabyte the expected reply: No official Linux support, install Windows for best experience. I even turned to the two large local computer vendors, asking if they could provide Linux-compatible machines ready to go, but neither of them would be of any help. What globally-available motherboards or motherboard manufacturers can you recommend today?"

Ask Slashdot: Linux-Friendly Motherboard Manufacturers?

• What? (Score:3, Interesting)

by Alex Belits (437) * on Friday December 28, 2012 @01:30PM (#42411923) Homepage

due to the motherboard reporting a Linux-supported ethernet device (the common RTL8168) while it was actually using a GbE Ethernet device that does not work with the legacy drivers and didn't even work with a test Windows 7 install until the driver disk was installed.

Model and manufacturer, please! Sounds like bullshit to me.

• Re:Intel? (Score:5, Interesting)

by Jmc23 (2353706) on Friday December 28, 2012 @01:35PM (#42411971) Journal
    Back in 1996 it was extremely simple to search for motherboard reviews and compatability. It's now 2012 and the web is overrun with crappy sites and crappy reviews. Smart people would rather get direct answers from 'qualified' people then wade through piles of garbage, it's not like it's 1996!
  • by h4rr4r (612664) on Friday December 28, 2012 @01:38PM (#42411989)

You should really be getting intel NICs pretty much no matter what. Dell sells them as an additional cost for a reason. The reason being broadcom sucks.

• Re:Raspberry Pi (Score:3, Interesting)

by gradinaruvasile (2438470) on Friday December 28, 2012 @02:22PM (#42412281)
    Also, look out for the audio codecs. Some dont work well with older kernels and ALSA. I have a Gigabyte F2A85X-D3H mobo with A8-5500 APU and i run Debian Testing on it. The stock 3.2 kernel gives an oops at startup and i have no sound. The 3.6 kernel however works just fine. And check the video drivers availability and stability if the board/CPU/APU has built in graphics. For example. Intel has the "best" open source driver support in theory. In practice, for the moment the latest Intel video card drivers are not good (the good stuff is in the latest dev versions and takes quite a bit of time until they trickle down in the stable kernels used by distributions).
  • Re:Raspberry Pi (Score:5, Interesting)

by Smallpond (221300) on Friday December 28, 2012 @04:47PM (#42413605) Homepage Journal

Intel has stopped giving out information on memory management configuration like EDAC, and is pushing EFI BIOS control. If you want to own your PC instead of licensing it from Intel it's better to use an AMD processor. Intel NICs are still good though.

by dotancohen (1015143) on Friday December 28, 2012 @05:40PM (#42414079) Homepage

So just to clarify, you are not a "weaker man" because you are choosing a tool that is more difficult to acquire & has no official support... for what purpose again?

Pretty much for KDE and X mouse pasting. There are some mouse pasting solutions for Windows, but none are as good as X. Furthermore, I rely very heavily on many of KDE's small but useful features, such as Keep on Top functionality, the wonderful panel configuration, and some other small features. They add up.

Without knowing more about what the ultimate goal is, it seems like you are just being pig-headed & stubborn, pushing your own personal agenda / Windows vendetta over the priorities of The Company.

Not at all. Everyone already has a Windows computer and now that a new office is opening some people want to use the features that they see me using. This is a case of people wanting to use specific features that they cannot get on Windows, not of some fosstard pushing his ideology on others. Its not even about the cost or security of Windows.

by hairyfeet (841228) <bassbeast1968@NOsPAM.gmail.com> on Friday December 28, 2012 @06:11PM (#42414337) Journal

If that is the case I would go with Win 7 Pro, its easy to lock down with GPOs, has XP Mode for any legacy software, and is supported until Apr 2020 so by the time it goes out of support the system will be ready for retirement as well.

I don't know how things are where you are but here with my SMBs I tend to plan the systems for about 7 years of use, ever since Intel and AMD went multicore you really don't need to turn over systems that often. Heck I have plenty of SMB customers on first gen Phenom X3s and X4s and they are quite happy with the performance, the only thing I had to do was move them to Win 7 from XP and they are happy as clams.

That said if the customer insisted on Linux? I'd probably go with a prebuilt from System76, its the path with the least margin for errors. it'll already be installed, already be set up, just put in whatever software they need that doesn't come with a default install and bob's your uncle.

Receiving a million dollars tax free will make you feel better than being flat broke and having a stomach ache. -- Dolph Sharp, "I'm O.K., You're Not So Hot"