Catch up on stories from the past week (and beyond) at the Slashdot story archive

Slashdot Deals: Prep for the CompTIA A+ certification exam. Save 95% on the CompTIA IT Certification Bundle ×
Programming

Ask Slashdot: How Can I Explain To a Coworker That He Writes Bad Code? 683

An anonymous reader writes "I have a coworker who, despite being very smart, and even very knowledgeable about software, writes the most horrible code imaginable. Entire programs are stuffed into single functions, artificially stretched thanks to relentless repetition; variable and class names so uninformative as to make grown men weep; basic language features ignored, when they could make everything shorter and more readable; and OOP abuse so sick and twisted that it may be considered a war crime. Of course, being a very smart person who has been programming since before I was born makes him fairly impervious to criticism, so even a simple 'Do you see how much better this function is when written this way?' is hopeless. How can I make him see the light, realize the truth, and be able to tell good code from bad?"

Ask Slashdot: How Can I Explain To a Coworker That He Writes Bad Code?

Somebody ought to cross ball point pens with coat hangers so that the pens will multiply instead of disappear.