Education Programming

Summer Programming Courses Before Heading Off To College? 183

from the straight-to-the-army dept.
First time accepted submitter LiteWait writes "My son is heading off to college next year and although he is bright kid with a great background in math and science, he has indicated that he'd like learn some introductory programming skills this summer. The courses at the local universities are pretty sparse and most of the CS101-type courses I've seen offered are too general to meet his needs. Even though he is a self-starter I think he would benefit from actual courses/code camps/etc rather than just slogging through online samples and tutorials. I'd like some advice on possible options for code camps, online courses, or developer training."

Summer Programming Courses Before Heading Off To College?

• by ShieldW0lf (601553) on Thursday February 07, 2013 @04:27PM (#42823915) Journal

The best course he could take for computer programming is a touch typing course. And that's by a huge margin.

• by eldavojohn (898314) * <eldavojohn.gmail@com> on Thursday February 07, 2013 @05:10PM (#42824471) Journal

PS the recommendations in the first part of the post are not applicable to a beginner.

Believe it or not, I am dead serious about the Pi. There's a 13 year old kid from Lithuania staying with my boss and I brought over the exact same setup I mentioned above and just showed him briefly how scratch works. This was his e-mail to me a mere one week later:

Sorry, that I didn't wrote a letter for you long time.
    I was working on Raspberry Pi and I am still working on it.
    I am learning to program some games, and I have made one already. It is just a simple game. Now it have some things that don't let it work, and I am trying to fix them.
    I made a little movie in the Scratch too.
    Raspberry Pi is a very good computer. Sometimes I am thinking how could it work being so small, and it's almost a real computer.
    I have heard, that root terminal needs a pasword to work. In this Raspberry Pi, I don't need pasword. When the program starts, it put a letter that I don't need pasword to run a program.
    Thank you for opportunity to work with this computer, it is so interesting and good.
    Sincirely,
    Aivaras

I asked him if he needed the root password I setup Debian with, that's why he said it doesn't need a root password. The great thing about the Pi is that it's cheap and you can do as little or as much with it as you want! I'm 30 years old and I love it! Seriously, when I tally up all the stuff I listed in that post, it comes to under $60! That's like a PS3 game disc ... how can you afford not to buy this for your kid -- whatever the age or gender?

• by Hatta (162192) on Thursday February 07, 2013 @08:02PM (#42827099) Journal

Get a keyboard with unlabeled keycaps. I use a Das Keyboard with cherry blue switches that is completely blank. If you can't look at the keyboard as a crutch, you're forced to rely on muscle memory, which strengthens very quickly.

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." -- Bernard Berenson