Catch up on stories from the past week (and beyond) at the Slashdot story archive

×
Networking Wireless Networking

Ask Slashdot: Dealing With an Advanced Wi-Fi Leech? 884

Posted by Soulskill
from the call-the-internet-police dept.
An anonymous reader writes "Recently, I had found out (through my log files) that my wireless router was subject to a Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) brute force PIN attack. After looking on the Internet and discovering that there are indeed many vulnerabilities to WPS, I disabled it. After a few days, I noticed that I kept intermittently getting disconnected at around the same time every day (indicative of a WPA deauthentication handshake capture attempt). I also noticed that an evil twin has been set up in an effort to get me to connect to it. Through Wi-Fi monitoring software, I have noticed that certain MAC addresses are connected to multiple WEP and WPA2 access points in my neighborhood. I believe that I (and my neighbors) may be dealing with an advanced Wi-Fi leech. What can I do in this situation? Should I bother purchasing a directional antenna, figuring out exactly where the clients are situated, and knocking on their door? Is this something the local police can help me with?"

Ask Slashdot: Dealing With an Advanced Wi-Fi Leech?

Real Users find the one combination of bizarre input values that shuts down the system for days.