Slashdot is powered by your submissions, so send in your scoop

DRM

Ask Slashdot: Are There Any Good Reasons For DRM? 684

Posted by Soulskill
from the keeps-you-from-accidentally-playing-bad-games dept.
centre21 writes "Having been on Slashdot for several years, I've seen a lot of articles concerning DRM. What's most interesting to me are the number of comments condemning DRM outright and calling for the abolishing DRM with all due prejudice. The question I have for the community: is there ever a time when DRM is justified? My focus here is the aspect of how DRM protects the rights of content creators (aka, artists) and helps to prevent people freely distributing their works and with no compensation. How would those who are opposed to DRM ensure that artists will get just compensation for their works if there are no mechanisms to prevent someone from simply digitally copying a work (be it music, movie or book) and giving it away to anyone who wants it? Because, in my eyes, when people stop getting paid for what they do, they'll stop doing it. Many of my friends and family are in the arts, and let me assure you, one of the things they fear most isn't censorship, it's (in their words), 'Some kid freely distributing my stuff and eliminating my source of income.' And I can see their point. So I reiterate, to those who vehemently oppose DRM, is there ever a time where DRM can be a force for good, or can they offer an alternative that would prevent the above from happening?"

Ask Slashdot: Are There Any Good Reasons For DRM?

• by SuperTechnoNerd (964528) on Saturday April 27, 2013 @03:40PM (#43569643)
    I just got back from the store, and im eating a can of Pringles. They don't have any DRM in the can - so I can share them with my friends - re sell them - use them any way I want -even steal them. (which has been illegal for a long time by the way) So how are they still able to sell Pringles by the thousands without DRM? Im sure there is room for a micro controller in the can which can run some form of DRM - perhaps with a GPS module to see where you are eating them. How many your eating. Who your allowing to steal - sorry - share them with.. It will collect this data and send it to the manufacturer via a GSM modem. If conditions are not met the can will self destruct.

Sounds pretty silly doesn't it?
  • Irony (Score:5, Funny)

by thegarbz (1787294) on Saturday April 27, 2013 @05:59PM (#43570667)

The only people who see ads claiming piracy is bad are the people who paid for the content.

It was kinda like stuffing the wrong card in a computer, when you're stickin' those artificial stimulants in your arm. -- Dion, noted computer scientist