Become a fan of Slashdot on Facebook

Role Playing (Games) Games

Ask Slashdot: MMORPG Recommendations? 555 555

An anonymous reader writes "Lord of the Rings: Online's latest expansion, Helm's Deep, involved cutting many skills for all classes, with a only a handful reclaimable through the new, 1-dimensional trait trees. If you're not an end-game raider, you're out of luck. And if you are, you can now play your character perfectly with only one or two buttons. Like many who preordered the expansion, I feel robbed and I'm joining the mass exodus. What do you folks suggest? How do Guild Wars 2, RIFT, World of Warcraft and all the other MMORPGs stack up these days? What else would you recommend looking at?"

Ask Slashdot: MMORPG Recommendations?

• by aepervius (535155) on Friday November 22, 2013 @05:01PM (#45494923)
    really, nowadays I play a bit MMO around until mid level, then give up. They become repetitive and raiding is only a slightly less rewarding skinner box.
  • One of Them (Score:4, Insightful)

by Saethan (2725367) on Friday November 22, 2013 @05:04PM (#45494981)
    ... seriously. There are so many MMOs now you really expect a single answer from /. that will make up your mind? Go do free trials, read some reviews. Sign up for some betas. I've played probably 20 or so MMOs since I first played Everquest in 1999 and they've all had upsides and downsides.
  • by interkin3tic (1469267) on Friday November 22, 2013 @05:07PM (#45495015)
    OP obviously enjoys MMORPGs, and is asking for suggestions, and your suggestion is that he shouldn't actually enjoy MMORPGs?

Did you see that no one else had posted yet and absolutely needed to fill the void?
  • Re:Recommendation (Score:1, Insightful)

by Anonymous Coward on Friday November 22, 2013 @05:08PM (#45495043)

Read a book. Go out with some friends. Meet your neighbours.

-1 Offtopic

A typical Ask Slashdot response. Moderately hostile, and completely useless.

• Star Citizen (Score:4, Insightful)

by ducomputergeek (595742) on Friday November 22, 2013 @05:20PM (#45495227)

Which is about to reach $30M in crowd funding...although hurry as the ability to get life time insurance for your ships will be ending next week. Then LTI will only be on the grey market...

• Re:Recommendation (Score:3, Insightful)

by Anonymous Coward on Friday November 22, 2013 @05:28PM (#45495327)

I've done all those things and they're overrated.

by s.petry (762400) on Friday November 22, 2013 @05:35PM (#45495417)
    Useless and hostile? Seems like very sound advice. Sporting events, concerts, comedy clubs, a neighborhood game of hearts or spades. Those things may not make a video game company lots of money but still entertainment that many can be involved in.
  • Re:Eve Online (Score:5, Insightful)

by cbhacking (979169) <been_out_cruisin ... om ['o.c' in gap> on Friday November 22, 2013 @05:39PM (#45495477) Homepage Journal

You're doing it wrong. It's an MMO. If you aren't making it on your own, *JOIN* one of those corporations (or get a bunch of people together and create your own).

Or go solo. It's entirely possible. It's risky and requires a lot of skill, and you'll get blown up a lot at first... but if you're actually good (and combat is Eve is much more skill-based than a casual observer might think) you can easily find, and win, small fights all day long. Yeah, you'll need a good ship (which means money and training time), but the risks are also lower when you're starting out. Be a pirate. Be a mercenary. Take over a wormhole.

You make the rules, man. That's the essence of the game. It's like libertarian paradise. Would I want to live there for real? Hell no! But it's a fun thing, to go out and fight, solo or with a small gang or with a massive battle fleet.

• by Musc (10581) on Friday November 22, 2013 @06:41PM (#45496161) Homepage

I'm glad you enjoy thinking up complex projects and implementing them through lots of work, even though there is no point other than entertainment.
    Personally I don't understand the mindset.
    If I want to do something challenging and complicated and creative, I'll go write code. I find this entertaining AND the end result could be useful, and I learn skills along the way.

When I'm tired of programming, I want to do something that doesn't feel remotely like work, so I'll fire up a first person shooter and turn on god mode, and blow things away. Or I'll watch a movie or read scifi.

When creating something like a subway system in minecraft, what keeps you motivated through the boring/difficult times?

I feel that effort merely for entertainment is waste of time. If you have the energy to do something creative, then create something useful.
    Keep on creating until you are too tired, then go do something passive for fun.

• Thank you (Score:4, Insightful)

by Any Web Loco (555458) on Friday November 22, 2013 @06:49PM (#45496257) Homepage
    Thank you for this - great list, easy to digest.This jarred though:

" gay game mechanics" (my emphasis)

Using the word "gay" as a synonym for "bad" isn't nice. I know it's common, but that doesn't excuse it, and you probably wouldn't use the descriptor for another minority group in the same way. Please consider not using the word gay this way. Thanks!

• by Anonymous Coward on Friday November 22, 2013 @07:01PM (#45496377)

world of tanks is flat out 'pay to win'.
    ammo you can pay for that will do BETTER than the free ammo. you can't even argue it.

but of course you will. everyone defends their drug of choice. no matter how terrible.

• by Thantik (1207112) on Friday November 22, 2013 @07:15PM (#45496501)

Basically all the single-button-click group matchmaking, and cross realms created an atmosphere where there was no sense of community anymore. There were no reputations to be worried about. There's way less of the "Multiplayer" in WoW as an MMO now. Yes...there are loads of other players. But they've taken away soooo much of the incentive to actually interact with those other players, that you might as well be playing a single player game with bots now.

• by Chas (5144) on Friday November 22, 2013 @07:28PM (#45496627) Homepage Journal

Honestly?

No.

Since the closure of City of Heroes, there's nothing that I really want to play. I have no desire to play high fantasy games, I won't ever touch anything remotely connected to NCSoft again, I'm a casual player who can't devote massive tracts of time, and I'm utterly disgusted by P2W.

I'm hoping that the upcoming, community-driven, City of Titans fits into the hole that CoH left. But for right now, about the most I do is play Freecell.

• Re:Thank you (Score:2, Insightful)

by Anonymous Coward on Friday November 22, 2013 @09:50PM (#45497597)

Frankly I ignored his entire list when I saw. I'm not going to trust a high pitched greasy ass teenager to make informed recommendations about video games that his type tend to infest. I don't know why anyone else is, and in the off chance that GP isn't one of those. Grow some balls and stop acting like one.

• Re:Eve Online (Score:4, Insightful)

by myowntrueself (607117) on Friday November 22, 2013 @10:59PM (#45497881)

EVE is one of those old school "you must group up you evil scum sucking soloer, don't you know what the M stands for!" games. Thus it appeals heavily to some players while disgusting others.

And the way the game works, and is designed, you can't trust any of the people you group with, your corp mates or pretty much anyone.

The only people in EVE who you can trust are ones who you can hunt down and beat the shit out of in REAL LIFE. If I were ever to get back into EVE I'd have to do it with a bunch of real life friends. And I'd have to have some good blackmail material on them as well.

With all the fancy scientists in the world, why can't they just once build a nuclear balm?