Networking Software Upgrades IT

Ask Slashdot: Managing Device-Upgrade Bandwidth Use? 159

from the selective-enforcement dept.
First time accepted submitter wallydallas writes "I'm close to a solution, but I wonder how other people block their many devices and operating systems from updating in working hours. For example: I'm the IT guy who blocks iPads from updating when school is in session because we are in a rural location. 3mbps is the best WAN we can buy. Devices can update after hours just fine. We do this with our router (DDWRT) by blocking MESU.APPLE.COM. Many guests bring in Windows 7 laptops, and I want to welcome them, but not their updates. How can I block updates on Android Phones and Linux Laptops? I have a 4G device at home, and I'd like to apply the same tricks 24 hours a day so that I don't use up the bandwith from my vendor. And my many home visitors should have their updates blocked."

Ask Slashdot: Managing Device-Upgrade Bandwidth Use?

• by phizi0n (1237812) on Thursday December 19, 2013 @07:22PM (#45741599)

There's no reason to avoid using your bandwidth when you can use QoS to deprioritize it so that they can still update any time the bandwidth is available. Most any linux router can do this with tc and iptables, or sometimes with less configurability through their GUI's.

At home you have control over the devices and can just disable them from automatically updating.

• Re:3Mbps?!?? (Score:4, Interesting)

by queazocotal (915608) on Thursday December 19, 2013 @08:34PM (#45742111)

They are good for 30 miles - if there is a clear path.
    This is not just line of sight - but slightly more than this - the path cannot go just past obstacles.
    http://www.proxim.com/products/knowledge-center/calculations/calculations-fresnel-clearance-zone [proxim.com]

For a 30 mile link, the fresnel zone reaches 100 feet in the middle of the link - if anything is in this zone, then the signal will be severely affected.
    Add to this the limitation of sight due to a non-flat horizon - 150 feet towers are needed just to get minimum line of sight.
    For flat land with trees up to 30 feet in places in the middle, for example, that adds up to a total of (100/2)+30+150 =
    230 feet towers.

If one end is at altitude - you still may need a significant tower in order to clear the fresnel zone.

• Wide scale blocking. (Score:4, Interesting)

by Lumpy (12016) on Thursday December 19, 2013 @08:44PM (#45742163) Homepage

I strongly suggest you also block all the common advert servers such as doubleclick as they consume far more bandwidth than the updates do.

You are in a maze of little twisting passages, all different.