Social Networks Cloud Google Open Source Privacy

Ask Slashdot: Best Way To Implement Wave Protocol Self Hosted? 112

from the foam-cutters-fiberglass-and-dustmasks dept.
First time accepted submitter zeigerpuppy writes "It's time to revisit Wave, or is it? I have been looking to implement a Wave installation on my server for private group collaboration. However, all evolutions of Wave seem to be closed-source or experiencing minimal development. I was excited about Kune, but its development looks stalled and despite Rizzoma claiming to be Open-Source, their code is nowhere to be found! Wave-in-a-box looks dead. So Slashdotters, do any of you have a working self-hosted Wave implementation?"

Ask Slashdot: Best Way To Implement Wave Protocol Self Hosted?

• Re:JSON (Score:5, Insightful)

by beelsebob (529313) on Sunday December 29, 2013 @02:10PM (#45812591)

"Oh no, they used one really bad verbose text based encoding, rather than another really bad verbose text based encoding that I happen to like because it's cool these days, both of which have decoding support in the browser. This is clearly what will stop it from ever working properly"

• Re:JSON (Score:4, Insightful)

by hey! (33014) on Sunday December 29, 2013 @03:24PM (#45812959) Homepage Journal

Most of the complaints I hear about XML are really complaints about lousy software architecture. Yes, XML is complex, but that should cause *zero* hassle on the front end. If it is causing hassle throughout your project, you're doing something wrong architecturally.

The desire to flex your muscles in a hot technology often overwhelms good design sense. Thus ten years ago you'd see people parsing and doing XML DOM tree manipulation directly in UI code and crap like that. Doing the same with JSON would be just as bad design, although since JSON's feature set is much smaller the results are less immediately catastrophic. But they're still bad design.

If your objection to XML is that it spreads complexity throughout your code, you're just a mediocre coder. Choosing XML or JSON should be a very minor implementation detail.

FORTUNE'S FUN FACTS TO KNOW AND TELL: #44 Zebras are colored with dark stripes on a light background.