Social Networks Cloud Google Open Source Privacy

Ask Slashdot: Best Way To Implement Wave Protocol Self Hosted? 112

from the foam-cutters-fiberglass-and-dustmasks dept.
First time accepted submitter zeigerpuppy writes "It's time to revisit Wave, or is it? I have been looking to implement a Wave installation on my server for private group collaboration. However, all evolutions of Wave seem to be closed-source or experiencing minimal development. I was excited about Kune, but its development looks stalled and despite Rizzoma claiming to be Open-Source, their code is nowhere to be found! Wave-in-a-box looks dead. So Slashdotters, do any of you have a working self-hosted Wave implementation?"

Ask Slashdot: Best Way To Implement Wave Protocol Self Hosted?

• by Anonymous Coward on Sunday December 29, 2013 @02:01PM (#45812539)

I remember Wave being one of those beta services Google killed off and people make fun off, but that's all I knew.
    So I followed the link to Wikipedia, and it's a horrible stub that doesn't even define, let alone explain.
    So some geek is trying to find someone else's implementation of an abandoned Internet protocol to build on top of?
    But there's no explanation anywhere about why anybody would want to use this.

• Re:Why Wave? (Score:4, Interesting)

by gmuslera (3436) on Sunday December 29, 2013 @02:08PM (#45812571) Homepage Journal
    Don't think on it as a worldwide, new social network, but for deploying it as a collaboration/documentation platform inside a company. In that area could be pretty useful.
  • Re:Why Wave? (Score:4, Interesting)

by PhrostyMcByte (589271) <phrosty@gmail.com> on Sunday December 29, 2013 @02:22PM (#45812655) Homepage

For me it was never trying to be a social network. Wave was a great blend between chat, email, and forums which was phenomenal for collaboration on projects.

Unfortunately I never used it beyond that. It was way too bulky as a replacement for random chat, never had the features to properly replace forums, and we're pretty much stuck with email now so no point in trying to replace that.

Nothing is easier than to denounce the evildoer; nothing is more difficult than to understand him. - Fyodor Dostoevski