Handhelds Cellphones Hardware

Ask Slashdot: Life After N900? 303

from the old-ways-are-best-ways dept.
Rydia writes "Since it first released, I have been in love with my Nokia N900, and it has satisfied all my needs for a mobile with a high degree of control and utility. Sadly, the little guy is showing his age, both in battery life (even with the powersaving kernel options enabled), and performing in general has been left far, far in the dust by phones that are now considered quite old. The time has come to find its successor, but after a thorough search of smartphone options, I can't find any handset that offers everything for the power user that the N900 did (much less a hardware keyboard). I'd like to avoid supporting Google/Android, but there don't seem to be many options. Have any other techies found a replacement for their N900?"

Ask Slashdot: Life After N900?

• by girlintraining (1395911) on Sunday January 26, 2014 @04:04PM (#46074763)

Have any other techies found a replacement for their N900?"

A sledgehammer, but it really is a poor substitute. They aren't as strong as the N900 was. As I understand it, the replacement program for the Space Shuttle suffered a major setback after they were discontinued; they're having to rely on conventional heat shielding now to re-enter the atmosphere.

• by binarylarry (1338699) on Sunday January 26, 2014 @05:48PM (#46075435)

Hey asshole, we pay you good money to astroturf Slashdot.

Include the fucking scroogled tag line next time or you're fucking fired!

• by squiggleslash (241428) on Monday January 27, 2014 @10:45AM (#46080273) Homepage Journal

This is sooooooooo true. Only the other day, I logged in to AdWords, and there at the top of the screen was a big box that said "Find out the life history of anyone on the Internet by entering their email address, reddit, or Slashdot ID in this box".

So I looked for a random number. There was a flyer for a local car dealership advertising a Corolla for $9,751.38, so I entered that, and clicked Submit. There was a brief request asking me to give my consent to a charge of 25c on my Google Wallet, and I thought "What the hell, why not?" and gave it.

There, in front of me, was all the information about "975138" I asked for. It was one of those "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it" things. Slashdot had pulled up the details of some Slashdotter with the nick "Jaktar".

Everything was there.

His phone numbers. His credit record. I could see he'd spent over $300 in the last month on "Gold pony cookies" for the popular free-to-play Facebook game "Pony club". He had a recurring membership on several websites, including the Alabama Post Gazette, Netflix, and something called "Hot Manponies Dot Com".

Even better was that all of this was hyperlinked to similarly relevant information. I clicked on a credit card billing line marked "KATZ PSYCHIATRIC SERV COPAY", and immediately received a list of future and prior appointments with a therapist. The prior appointments were also hyperlinked, and a quick click revealed a Google Voice style transcription of the appointment in question (not that interesting, 20 minutes of it was marked "(extended sobbing, 2 mins)" alternating with "(hysterical laughing, 60 seconds)".

Finally, there was information to help people like me, who just want to advertise and tailor our ads to people like "Jaktar". Google had analyzed the person's history, and recommended various keywords I could use in my ads to appeal to people like him. "Star Wars", "Leia", "PHP", "Free to play", and "Ponies" came up.

This type of information is gold, quite frankly. Advertisers like me are always interested in targetting specific people at great expense, rather than trying to appeal to broad swathes of the population, so Google collecting this data and selling it to us is exactly what we need.

Thanks Google!

Imitation is the sincerest form of plagarism.