Books Education Input Devices Hardware

Ask Slashdot: E-ink Reader For Academic Papers? 134

from the reasonable-request dept.
Albanach writes "Recently, I purchased an e-ink Kindle. I like real paper books, but I'm reading lots of academic papers. The Kindle is a nice way to carry and read them, and I went through several documents, highlighting important passages. Now I learn that there is no supported way to actually get a highlighted personal document back off of the Kindle with the highlights intact. I don't need lectures about DRM, proprietary software or anything else along those lines — there are other things the Kindle can and will be used for. What I would like to know is whether there's another e-ink reader that does let you add your own documents, then highlight them and export the altered document. Or does someone know of a way to achieve this using the Kindle itself?"

Ask Slashdot: E-ink Reader For Academic Papers?

• Uh, yes (Score:5, Informative)

by orledrat (3490981) on Saturday February 15, 2014 @09:27AM (#46254055)
    They exist. Don't pick one that is too weak to display large PDFs or too small to comfortably navigate A4. I'd probably pick this 9.7" Icarus Excel if I had to choose one right now: http://www.amazon.com/ICARUS-R... [amazon.com]
  • Re:DRM (Score:5, Informative)

by Radak (126696) on Saturday February 15, 2014 @09:44AM (#46254101) Journal

Last I checked, the Kindle is capable of reading and displaying quite a few non-DRM formats. You're stuck with DRM if you purchase books from Amazon, yes, but nothing about the device itself locks you into DRM.

• by stasike (1063564) on Saturday February 15, 2014 @10:13AM (#46254189)

Have a look at the PocketBook e-ink readers. Sadly, they have left USA market, unable to compete with Amazon.
    Here in my European country, in an online store specialized on e-book readers PocketBook is by far the most popular brand. Keep in mind that most people buying kindles are buying them directly from Amazon.
    I have PocketBook Touch Lux 623. The screen and front-light are the same as on Kindle Paperwhite. It supports 18 e-book formats and lots of configuration options, all without hacking. It has headphones output with support of TTS in many languages. You can use micro SD card. There are third-party programs available, such as scientific calculator, Linux terminal (for hacking - the reader itself has busybox installed), ftp server (so you can look at *and* modify files from internal memory), Coolreader, chess, several games, Vim text editor (full-fledged recent version).
    You can make your own notes and highlights and PocketBook will prepare html file for each document with your notes that you can download to your PC. No special software necessary.
    You can import PocketBook from Europe.

• by supercrisp (936036) on Saturday February 15, 2014 @10:15AM (#46254195)
    The obvious part: Root it and install a more capable e-reader app. My recommendation: I prefer Moon+ Reader Pro, which will not only give you a highlighted and annotated file you can use elsewhere, it can also, with one click, generate a document with annotations and highlights only that you can e-mail to yourself. I should not that this is something even Acrobat Pro can't do, and also note that Moon+ is more feature complete and easy to use than is Adobe's offering for Android. NB: I don't have any stake in Moon+, nor give a crap what money they make. I'm sharing because I spent too much time wading thru all the e-reader apps to find this one.
  • by astralagos (740055) on Saturday February 15, 2014 @10:43AM (#46254303)
    I think what you're really looking for is a research paper management application, such as Mendeley, Zotero or Papers. I personally use Papers, but that's a very mac-specific solution. There is apparently a Mendeley-specific application called KinSync that should help with using it on the Kindle. In general, if you're reading a bunch of academic papers and you don't have a manager like this, I recommend getting one.
  • Re: Short Evaluation (Score:4, Informative)

by ArgumentBoy (669152) on Saturday February 15, 2014 @11:12AM (#46254437)
    I use iAnnotate on an iPad. I download the PDF or Word document from my Dropbox, highlight and so forth on the iPad, and then can sync the marked up copy back to Dropbox. It's not the Kindle solution you wanted but otherwise it seems to be just what you want.
  • by davolfman (1245316) on Saturday February 15, 2014 @12:50PM (#46254911)
    Nook Simple Touch's and Glowlights are technically Android and once rooted can run Moon+ last I checked. Rooted Nooks alse run the Kindle app if you pick the right version. Best of all worlds.
  • Re:DRM (Score:4, Informative)

by 0123456 (636235) on Saturday February 15, 2014 @01:08PM (#46254963)

You're stuck with DRM if you purchase books from Amazon, yes, but nothing about the device itself locks you into DRM.

Uh, no. Publishers choose whether they put DRM on Amazon ebooks, there's no requirement to use it. I've never intentionally bought a DRM-ed ebook on Amazon.

Never trust a computer you can't repair yourself.