Games

Ask Slashdot: What Games Are You Playing? 669

Posted by Soulskill
from the pong-2:-the-revenge dept.
An anonymous reader writes "We haven't had this discussion in a while: what games are Slashdotters playing these days? We've recently seen the latest generation of consoles arrive on the scene. Almost exactly a year ago, Valve brought Steam to Linux, and they've been pushing for stronger Linux adoption among game publishers ever since. Mobile gaming continues to rise (for better or worse), MMOs are still sprouting like weeds, and Kickstarted indie games are becoming commonplace. For those of you who play games, what ones have struck your fancy recently? What older games do you keep coming back to? What upcoming releases are you looking forward to?"

Ask Slashdot: What Games Are You Playing?

• by Anonymous Coward on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:17AM (#46283507)

I can't recommend FTL enough. You're basically trying to pilot a ship crew through space, from one side of a universe to another, while being chased by enemies. It's fantastic! It runs on old and inexpensive hardware, and it's coming out with a big-time free update soon. It's a great game with lots of varying gameplay depending on your ship, luck, etc. and has lots of achievements and unlockable ships to keep you replaying it over and over. http://www.ftlgame.com

• by Zynder (2773551) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:34AM (#46283611)
      So you're playing a video game version of Battlestar Galactica? I shall have to learn more....
      • by cyborg_zx (893396) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:22AM (#46283845)

This is Galactica Actual. Spool up.

• by Xelios (822510) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:39AM (#46283919)
        Might be the Diaspora [hard-light.net] mod for Freespace Open, which is really good.

Some back story for those that don't know, Volition (the developer behind Freespace 2) released the source code to the game about 10 years ago when it became apparent that they weren't going to be able to make a third installment. Since then the FS2 community has enhanced the game engine, fixed bugs, overhauled the graphics, added support for all kinds of new peripherals and created several new games, like Diaspora and a Babylon 5 conversion.

If you're a fan of space combat sims you really should check out Freespace Open. [fsoinstaller.com] Besides playing through the original campaigns I'd recommend Blue Planet (included in the installer) and the subsequent War in Heaven [hard-light.net] campaigns.
    • by simplypeachy (706253) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:52AM (#46283715)

Advanced Edition coming out soon! Because what we need is a hard mode...

• by TheRaven64 (641858) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @05:21AM (#46284141) Journal
      Don't start playing FTL unless you have a lot of spare time. It's about as addictive as Civilisation was back in the day - one of those games where you think you'll just explore a couple more systems and then realise that two more hours have elapsed. It's periodically on sale on GOG: I got it for $2.50, and it's been $5 a few times. I probably wouldn't have paid full price for it based on the screenshots, but based on the gameplay I'd say it would definitely be worth it. I think they priced it a bit too high though - at $2.50 it was an impulse purchase and I didn't care if I only played it a couple of times, and I suspect a lot more than four times as many people would have bought it on the same principle than would pay $10 for it. At $10, you most likely won't buy it unless you're pretty sure you'll enjoy it.
    • by allcoolnameswheretak (1102727) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @05:56AM (#46284271)

I like the game, it's a great concept, but sometimes I wish it were a little less random. You often get into a bad luck situation that you have no hope of winning, abruptly ending a session in which you felt you were doing quite well.
      But I suppose some people enjoy this unpredictable "rougelike element in the game.

• by vux984 (928602) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @06:32AM (#46284403)

FTL choices remind me of this classic riddle:

You are in a room, the exit by which you came in is blocked, and the roof is slowly closing down on you. You cannot leave the way you came, and you cannot stay here. The far wall has two doors on it. In between the doors is a table with a frog on it. A sign above the frog says this:

"One door leads to certain destruction, the other to Riches and Power. You can ask the frog one question, but it will always lie."

You look at the frog, with a smirk, you know this riddle and how to solve it, but your face falls. The frog has been dead for some time. Someone should have fed it it from time to time. In any case, it won't be answering any questions today.

Choose your door.

This is too often how I feel when I play FTL. :)

• by vidnet (580068) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:20AM (#46283525) Homepage

There are some good indie games these days, like Gone Home; Papers, Please and Sir, You Are Being Hunted.

Gone Home does a very fine job of interactively telling a story by searching through an abandoned house.

Papers, Please is a puzzle game about ethics and paperwork, which is much more interesting than it sounds.

Sir, You Are Being hunted is a procedurally generated stealth/survival game, in which you're trying to sneak under the noses of armed gentlemen robots.

• by WilliamGeorge (816305) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:20AM (#46283527)

Apparently I'm nostalgic for my childhood in the 90s - I loved both the MechWarrior / BattleTech and Wing Commander / Freelancer franchises. MWO has been somewhat disappointing, but still fun enough, while Star Citizen looks to be coming along very well.

http://mwomercs.com/ [mwomercs.com]

https://robertsspaceindustries... [robertsspa...stries.com]

• by Warma (1220342) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:26AM (#46283861)

I really, Really, REALLY wanted MWO to be good. I actually supported that game with more than a hundred euros.

But it wasn't.

Don't get me wrong, their art assets are really good, the stage design works and the mech movement and aiming physics feel good. It is not an arcade game and has the right, massive feel, which was missing from MW4. However, their balance and game design philosophy is really out of whack. Missile balance, missile tracking, impossibly high heat capacities which encourage boating, the retarded ghost heat to fix the aforementioned problem and the inclusion of a lot of completely useless weapons. I know it's narcissistic to assume that if I were there, the game would be better, but this time I really do. I had merely a day's worth of time to tinker with the configuration files, it'd be easy to improve the game considerably.

I still have hope that they realize where they are going and reverse the course, but not much. Haven't bothered to play for almost a year because of this, but I still visit occasionally and read the patch notes to see if they are going in the right direction. They never are.

• by NoZart (961808) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:55AM (#46284009)

I also was disappointed by MWO, but mostly because i came directly from the Crysis War Mod Living Legends. The mod itself is dead (as in no more development due to rights), but it still has a small devoted community playing it. It's got way more mechs and other vehicles but instead of a mechlab preconfigured mechs. Also a round tends to go towards one hour and the size of the maps allow for more tactics (also due to the possibility of buying resupplies and repair the mech)

It takes way more time to get into it than MWO, due to the heavy reliance on teamplay and resourcemanagement, but i found it to be way more satisfying than MWO (especially with their very stupid radar system).

• by gr8dude (832945) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:21AM (#46283531) Homepage

I'm playing Wordfeud (an online game of Scrabble), I like it because of its pace - I have 72h to complete a move, so I can take my time. The game allows me to play with multiple opponents simultaneously; I've made some good friends and we keep playing for several years now. This game brings people together, if you let it :-)

If anyone could recommend a similar, turn-based, online multiplayer game for Android - I'd greatly appreciate it.

• by IgnorantMotherFucker (3394481) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:21AM (#46283533) Homepage

Warp Life [warplife.com] is a particularly fast implementation of the Conway's Game of Life Cellular Automaton.

However it is not in the App Store yet. I'm the only one who can play it at present because I wrote the source.

I hocked my iPad when I needed the money. Someone stole my iPhone 4 when I left it on the table at McDonald's while using the can. I've been out of work for a long time so now I don't have the $99.00 for the Apple Tax, nor to buy a new iDevice.

If you gave me like four hours of consulting work [warplife.com] I could buy a used iPhone and renew my IOS ddeveloper program membership. Then I could get Warp Life into the App Store in short order.

If I had but one App in the App Store, then I wouldn't be out of work anymore. There is a huge demand for iOS coders, but no one wants to touch me because I don't have an App in the App Store yet.

I have already started the Android build but have put that on hold until the iOS version ships.

There are some competitors presently in the App Store. Golly may be faster but due to its more complex UI it only runs on iPad. Warp Life runs on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, with a very simple, minimalist UI.

When it actually hits the App Store, the source code will be bundled with the App, and published under the Affero General Public License v3. I'll be providing a git repository, that after I set it up, will be here [warplife.com].

• by Neva (630016) <{jneva} {at} {mbnet.fi}> on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:22AM (#46283537)

Tablet, stationary: Clash of Clans
    Tablet, mobile: Ingress
    With friends in Steam: Killing Floor (Linux), Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Alien Swarm
    Solo in Steam: Star Conflict, War Thunder
    Would play if had more time: Sid Meier's Civilization IV (Linux)

I have loads of Humble bundles bought, waiting to be discovered. They have been a great catalyst to release more games on Linux.

Game types are mostly co-operative FPS shooters with friends, tower defence with tablet, flying with planes or full 6 degrees freedom when solo. A mouse is a pretty essential controller in most games.

• by Scarletdown (886459) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:23AM (#46283539) Journal

Currently, I am splitting my gaming time between EverQuest Next Landmark Alpha and Guild Wars 2 (still trying to recruit for the Skrittsburg Foreign Legion, because... Shinies!)

• Fez (Score:5, Interesting)

by deek (22697) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:23AM (#46283541) Homepage Journal

Just started playing Fez. On a Steam Linux client. Nice game, and very clever. I like the twist it gives to 2D platforming.

Also, playing Sine Mora on my Vita, when I'm travelling on the train to/from work. Tough side-scrolling shooter! Only a few chapters in.

• Nethack (Score:5, Interesting)

by red_erik (733792) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:26AM (#46283561)
    Nethack - 10 years from the last release, and still the best :)
    • Re:Nethack (Score:4, Interesting)

by Zimluura (2543412) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @10:09AM (#46285411)

My best NetHack story: had a cat that got polymorphed into a succubus. Since my character was chaotic (elf class from old version) i could gain alignment points by sleeping with her. also got to walk her around on a leash. It's great when B&D comes from emergent gameplay.

Dwarf Fortress is one to check out too. City building and Adventure modes. the next version looks like it's almost ready. Should be a _big_ feature update in a month or two.

• Very old games (Score:5, Insightful)

by Sique (173459) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:27AM (#46283567) Homepage
    I'm still playing Alpha Centauri, the successor of the original Civilisation. And I am playing Simutrans [simutrans.com], a free transport simulator. Call me whatever you want, but I never got the hang of the more recent games.
    • Re:Very old games (Score:2, Interesting)

by Anonymous Coward on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:22AM (#46283849)

Considering its stratospherical replay value, Alpha Centauri has long been my dark horse nominee for best game ever made. And another oddity: after 15 years and (easily) thousands of games, I still learn something new about the gameplay every time I play.

Recently I also dusted off two old PopTop games, Railroad Tycoon 3 (~2003) and Tropico 4 (~2010). Loads of fun, check them out if you haven't already.

• by boristhespider (1678416) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @05:11AM (#46284097)

Hell, I still sometimes play Elite 2 and Grand Prix 4 more than anything other than Perfect Dark (N64 or XBox 360 remake, I'm not fussy) and Time Splitters: Future Perfect. More recent gaming has kind of passed me by.

• by JonnyCalcutta (524825) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @06:48AM (#46284451)

I'm playing OpenTTD (http://www.openttd.org). I played Simutrans a few (many?) years back and it was good, but the concepts are so different from Transport Tycoon that I find it hard to pick up when ever I try - it hurts my head because its similar yet so different.

I love the optimisation aspects of openTTD - maximising the throughput on busy lines and stations - the money aspect I couldn't care less about and always give myself a few hundred million when I start. I think I'll be playing it till the day I die.

• by travisco_nabisco (817002) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:35PM (#46289547)
      I have had Alpha Centauri on every computer I have owned since it came out. Such a fun game, you can play at a high difficulty and fight for a early finish, or play a lower difficulty and just tech to the hover tanks for a late world domination.

Currently I am playing Sid Meir's Railroads, thanks to the Humble Bundle. I can't believe I never played any of the Railroad simulators before.
  • by Hackysack (21649) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:29AM (#46283577)

KSP, which is quite fun.

Civ V, which I just can't seem to take the needle from my arm.

EQNext, which I just started; and very looking forward to.

• by glavenoid (636808) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:30AM (#46283883) Journal

I just got into Civ V recently and got the monkey on my back too. To make it worse, Civ 4 complete was the humble bundle last week so I picked it up for cheap expecting to play it when Civ V lost its luster but now I'm engrossed in that game as well...

• by smallfries (601545) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:40AM (#46283927) Homepage

Yup. I didn't get much time to play it over the past year, but now that my schedule is finally calming down Civ 5 is proving to be a bit moorish. I need to beat it a few more times on Vanilla before I get the two expansions.

• by glavenoid (636808) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @05:17AM (#46284125) Journal

The expansions enhance the gameplay to such a degree it's practically a new game. If you're enjoying vanilla Civ V then you're in for a real treat should you get the expansions, though you might want to wait until they have the (most likely forthcoming) "complete edition" upgrade which contains all the content rather than buying via the piecemeal approach.

• by mjwx (966435) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @08:44PM (#46291535)

Civ V was terrible compared to Civ IV.

Civ V is the first Civ game I have played that made me go back to the previous Civ game. Sure the graphics are good but they ruined the gameplay, the AI is completely neutered.

With any luck, Firaxis is scrapping the whole Civ V and going back to Civ IV for inspiration on Civ VI... but I'm not counting on it.

• by Engeekneer (1564917) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:30AM (#46283585)
    I'm quite a big fan on the Humble Bundles (one going on now). Many have at least 1 or 2 very nice games. I also try out some AAA titles on Linux, it seems like the new X-Com is being ported, which is nice.
  • I don't (Score:5, Funny)

by roc97007 (608802) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:31AM (#46283591) Journal

At all. Ever. I had a bad experience with Warcraft, forgot to bathe, was missing appointments, people thought I had died. I finally gave the disk to daughter and told her to hide it. I still don't know where it is.

• Starbound (Score:5, Informative)

by ArcadeMan (2766669) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:31AM (#46283595)

It's like Terraria, but much better and available on all three platforms*.

* Linux, Mac OS X, Windows. Were you thinking about something else?

• My WoW replacement (Score:4, Insightful)

by Zynder (2773551) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:32AM (#46283601)
    Since the stupid panda crap pissed me off, I dumped World of Warcraft and switched to Rift [riftgame.com] Now before I hear the F2P hate, be aware that this game is absolutely NOT pay to win. I am very conscious of such things and I've seen no aspect of it that you just had to shell out real money for. I have spent some real money, but just on stupid shit like a giant squirrel mount and of course "Patron" time which is what the monthly sub turned into (still $15). I'm fairly happy with it and the graphics blow WoW out of the water.
    • by rossz (67331) <ogre AT geekbiker DOT net> on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:52AM (#46283719) Homepage Journal

Ditto. The Panda bullshit was their last chance. They failed. I jumped back to Warhammer Online for the last couple of months of its life (which turned into a horrid cluster fuck so I bailed on the last week), then finally fired up Rift. I'm enjoying it. I played it over a month before I finally decided they deserved some money, then bought a three month patron pack.

• by seebs (15766) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:52AM (#46283997) Homepage

Why I like Rift:

Rift has had some issues with chat and ability lag. So they've overhauled their chat server. Predictably, it's been broken a lot. But Trion being Trion, this meant that we had actual devs (not "community reps", actual people who work on code) posting on the forums saying what was wrong, what they had fixed internally, and that they might try that if they had another crash, then putting that live, then reverting when it had problems... Actual information about what was wrong.. They seem to have fixed the worst of it now, so of course they are sending out freebies to all the players. Note: Not all the paying players. All the players, period. They are pretty good about compensation for problems.

Also this patch, they decided to make some mounts account-wide; if you get them on any character, all your characters get them. This will, of course, be retroactive, although it'll take a day or so for the updates. And of course, people asked what happens if you already bought one of these for two characters. Answer: They already thought about this, they checked the logs, this will affect very few players, but if you're one of them, file a ticket and customer support will make things right.

Basically, they are a company whose devs are active and engaged, who talk to people, and who try to make things right and are not afraid to admit their errors. They have consistently gone far above and beyond what you'd expect if you were familiar with more traditional MMO customer service. Excellent company in general. And they do make mistakes, but because they're willing to fix them, I am okay with that -- and I find I actually prefer it a lot to companies that refuse to take risks, and then don't fix things that were just bad ideas to begin with.

• by loufoque (1400831) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:39AM (#46283625)

is the only game I'm really waiting for.

• by Thanshin (1188877) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:39AM (#46283627)

When alone I play Go online (at KGS, DGS or online-go.com) or KSP.

When some friends are online, we still play Diablo3, Torchlight, Borderlands2, ... We'll try anything cooperative.

• by chrylis (262281) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:41AM (#46283639)

Local friends got me playing WC3 DotA, and I moved over to Dota 2 when Valve got the native Linux client working reliably. I also keep Civ 4: BTS around when I really have to be unproductive but can't sign up for an hour-long game.

• Superhero MMOs (Score:4, Insightful)

by Chas (5144) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:42AM (#46283645) Homepage Journal

Played City of Heroes till shutdown (still angry at NCSoft).
    Barely playing Champions Online. Cryptic and its various owners have pretty much screwed the pooch there.
    Kickstarted City of Titans. But probably won't really see anything for 3 years there. Keeping my expectations there realistic.

• by Remus Shepherd (32833) <remus@panix.com> on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @12:07PM (#46286645) Homepage

I miss City of Heroes sooo much. No other game is like it. Tried Champions Online years ago and it didn't appeal to me.

Since CoH died I played and finished or dropped Borderlands 2, Guild Wars 2, The Secret World, and Bioshock: Infinite. Only ones that I'm still playing are League of Legends (I dabble; nothing serious) and FTL.

I still hunger for an MMO as sweet and exciting as CoH. Might try Everquest Landmark someday, if I can get over my hatred for all things Sony.

• Recently? (Score:5, Informative)

by RogueyWon (735973) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:43AM (#46283649) Journal

I own pretty much every gaming platform around (other than an Android platform, I suppose) and tend to manage to play a fairly good selection of releases.

The big pattern over much of 2013 for me was my declining use of the old "home" consoles, edged out by the PC and Vita. The PS3 still got some occasional use, spurred by a few decent late-cycle exclusives (Ni No Kuni, Disgaea 2 and so on), but the last game I put any serious time into on the 360 was Forza Horizon, way back at the end of 2012. MS really let the 360 twist in the wind for the final 12 months before it got replaced. I probably used the 360 more than the PS3 for most of its cycle (it was generally better for multiplatform games), but I felt few regrets when I traded it in against a new Xbox One the other week, while I couldn't yet imagine trading in my PS3.

The growth of importance of PC gaming has been a real trend recently. For much of the last console cycle, "multi-platform" meant "360 and PS3". These days, it's a brave developer who doesn't include the PC in their line-up. This was also, I suppose, a big part of the reason behind the decline in my use of the 360. It may have been better than the PS3 for most multiplatform games, but it had no chance against a modern gaming PC. On the PC, I've mostly been playing Borderlands 2, Final Fantasy 14 and I still go back for the odd blast of the superb Rayman Legends.

The Vita, for me, is the best little console that nobody owns and I regard its lack of success as a great shame. There are some fantastic games on it and I've put a lot of time into Persona 4: The Golden, Dragon's Crown, Soul Sacrifice and the many, many smaller and indie titles on the platform. The 3DS, meanwhile, I still find a hard platform to love, though I did quite enjoy Bravely Default until its later sections.

I now own both a PS4 and Xbox One. Neither has really produced a game to wow me yet - but then, that goes with the territory for early adopters. Killzone: Shadow Fall on the PS4 is much better than I had expected from previous Killzone games (having some fairly open levels and a better graphical style). I've also been enjoying Assassin's Creed 4 on the PS4 (more games need sea shanties). On the Xbox One, Dead Rising 3 is fairly good and Forza 5 has mostly been fixed after a disaster of a launch. Other than that, both platforms are currently fairly barren for traditional games - though Xbox Fitness is really impressive if you like that kind of thing (I do).

At least the PS4 and the Xbox One have the excuse of being new. The Wii-U remains a crushingly poor platform, with tired Nintendo exclusives being the only real releases of note. Zelda: Wind Waker looks fine at first - but then I remembered just how tedious I found it the first time around. Super Mario World 3d has some good moments, but is spoiled by poor 3d controls and level design that gets quite repetitive in the later stages.

And on iOS... ugh. I've almost entirely stopped using the iPad for gaming. I still fire it up for the odd session on a plane or train, but its games these days seem to split between paywalled crudware (generally not even games by any reasonable definition) and worthy-but-slightly-lacking ports of games better played on PC, like XCom and Baldur's Gate.

• by Dahamma (304068) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:55AM (#46283745)

I've also been enjoying Assassin's Creed 4 on the PS4 (more games need sea shanties).

IMO the land-based part of the game is pretty repetitive at this point, and the Abstergo sub-plot (super-plot?) is as usual pretty bizarre.

But I think I could just sail around the Caribbean listening to the crash of waves and singing of sea shanties for hours. And the ship combat/boarding mechanics are near perfect - it's what you always wished you could have seen in Sid Meyer's Pirates.

• by RogueyWon (735973) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @05:10AM (#46284091) Journal

Yes, I'd agree with that. AC4 would have been better still as a pure "pirate" game, without the Assassin's Creed trappings. The fact that you still have a stealth-based combat system at the heart of the game feels odd, when something a bit more swashbuckling would fit the bill better. And yes, the modern-day meta-story needs to die. It was always boring in the earlier AC games but really is outstaying its welcome now.

• Spelunky (Score:4, Insightful)

by kav2k (1545689) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:44AM (#46283655)

Nobody mentioned Spelunky so far.

Procedurally generated, "roguelite" platformer requring skill and metagame knowledge to succeed in.

Contains "daily challenges" (a one shot at playing s specific seed) for those playing it on Steam, which brings highly competitive elements to the game.
    Also, recently a tool for it emerged that allows to lock seed generation to a particular value, enabling competition outside dailies.

Website: http://spelunkyworld.com/ [spelunkyworld.com] and gameplay videos are aplenty on YouTube.
    Has a free "original" version with low-res graphics to get a taste of the gameplay.

• by slothman32 (629113) * <(pjackso5) (at) (rochester.rr.com)> on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:45AM (#46283661) Homepage Journal

I just played Geneforge 1 again, this time with a guardian, though only on tricky diff - 3/4. :(
    I play "mini games" from a guy named Simon Tatham.
    He just reprogrammed older games he didn't invent.

I don't play MMPORGS or whatever.
    I have installed Civ4 but didn't play it for a few months.
    I also got Braid and Witcher from Steam.

I am not playing as much since I am programming as well.

• by Crashmarik (635988) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:49AM (#46283689)

Was Playing The Secret World but it looks like Funcom has killed the development budget, replaced content updates with insane grinds for gear and made false promises about delivery dates to string along the subscribers. Still recommend it. Buy it for $10 when it goes on sale and play it like a single player game, just be prepared to be disappointed by the largely nonexistent and very tedious endgame.

So now it's Star Wars The Old Republic. It's surprisingly good, especially if you aren't expecting it to be star wars galaxies. Good engine, beautiful graphics, and solid play backed by excellent story and dialog. Thumbs up.

Beta tested ESO, Looks good but hasn't grabbed me.

Going to give Wildstar a try as well.

• by chthon (580889) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:52AM (#46283721) Homepage Journal

and which does not take too much time

1. Railroad Tycoon
    2. A-Train
    3. Master of Magic
    4. SSG Battlefront games
  • by hack slash (1064002) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:53AM (#46283729)
    In the past year I've quite gotten into the online gaming thing, with two games that are almost polar opposites.
  • It is payday (Score:5, Interesting)

by simplypeachy (706253) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:55AM (#46283741)

Dungeon Keeper, which GOG.com gave away free the other day. How did this ever manage to fly under my radar? Love it!

• Guild Wars 1 (Score:3, Interesting)

by TheLink (130905) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @03:59AM (#46283761) Journal

Yes - still playing the first one. I prefer the game mechanics - not so much of that skill tree and gear grind stuff you get in many other MMOs (including in a way Guild Wars 2).

I find Guild vs Guild fun even when my team loses (as long as I don't make too many stupid mistakes :) ). Just don't take it so seriously like some - after all nobody is handing out huge prizes for winning anymore.

Nowadays there's even a group starting Fort Aspenwood matches at about 10pm EST. But not enough players for round the clock nonstop matches so it's far from a full blown revival.

But who knows - the game is still decent for an 8 year old game, so more old players might come back and maybe a few new players join too.

Maybe there might be more players if Anet sold a more affordable and sane PvP package with full PvP unlock (e.g. you get to play all the PvP matches/missions, no need to grind faction to unlock skills, weapon modifiers etc).
    compare: http://www.guildwars.com/produ... [guildwars.com]
    with this:http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/PvP_Access_Kit
    https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-... [ncsoft.com]
    So getting everything unlocked for PvP will either cost you a fair bit of $$$ or a lot of time.

Or you could go instead play games like TF2 where you only need to spend money for silly hats ;).

• by Lehk228 (705449) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:04AM (#46283773) Journal
    Heroes of Might and magic II and III

Minecraft

World of Tanks

Unreal Tournament 2004

Pokemon Y

Candy Crush
  • Old N new. (Score:5, Interesting)

by sjwt (161428) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:05AM (#46283775)

Of my new games, the ones I play the most at the moment are both in paid working status (with free options)

Kerbal Space Program $27 (Free Demo link) [kerbalspaceprogram.com] (now teaming up with NASA officially) [kerbalspaceprogram.com]
            A fantastic rocket sim builder/sandbox, now working on the career mode side of things, if for some reason you haven't herd of this then give it a shot, learn about orbital mechanics and have fun at the same time, or just see how many Kerbals you can crash into the moon in an hour.. This game will remind you just how hard real physics for your tiny CPU to crunch.

Factorio $13 (Free Demo link) [factorio.com]
            You have been sent to a new world to establish a colony and start industrializing it for settlement.. unfortunately your ship crashes and you are isolated from any other survivors, using you ''advanced'' technology you will be mining resources, researching technologies, building infrastructure, automating production and fighting enemies so that you can reach the final goal of building a defensive space port. An ever improving 2d world with 3d models for a fantastic effect.

Older games, warning these are older games.. If you cant stand to do retro games, don't bother.

Master of Magic $6 @ GOG [gog.com]
              Fantasy 4X game, that once some of the bugs where sorted became one of the best fantasy 4X's ever.. Others have tried to copy, non have succeeded. All Green magic FTW!!

Master of Orion 2 $6 @ GOG comes with number 1 as well [gog.com]
              Space based 4X, AI is unfortunately lacking a bit, but still quite engaging, Silicods FTW!!!

Populous $6 @ GOG [gog.com]
                How the Sequels for Populous missed the mark so much is anyone's guess.. Damn it, update graphics, tweek sound a bit, keep the game play/spells the same.. pure win for all!! And I shall put this out there for all, the DOS Roland theme music is the best of the old school versions :P [youtube.com]

Evil Genius $10 @ GOG [gog.com]
              Build your evil lair, send your minions out into the world to plot, teal money and recover cool artifacts, and finally take over the WORLD!! Why Despicable Me has not cloned this is totally beyond me..

• by thephydes (727739) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:05AM (#46283777)
    ..... wtf? what are you asking?
  • by muphin (842524) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:08AM (#46283795) Homepage
    - Age of Empires
    - Assassins Creed (1,2.3...)
    - BioShock
    - BorderLands 1 & 2
    - DIshonored
    - Fallout 3
    - Mass Effect 1 - 3
    - Metro Last Light
    - Sleeping Dogs
    - Syndicate
    - Elder Scrolls
    - Tombraider
  • by Bender Unit 22 (216955) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:10AM (#46283807) Journal

I just got a new iMac with maxed out configuration and 4GB video memory. So I can run everything at 2560x1440 with all graphics at full/ultra. A great computer although I think that the Fusion drive could benefit from PCIE SSD larger than 120GB when the SATA is 3TB.

- Civ 5, which is good fun but I rarely has the time.
    - I liked the original Bioshock so I am playing Bioshock Infinite. It is ok.
    - The new Tomb Raider but I kinda hate it since it seems to spend more time with story telling than actual gameplay.

I am hoping for a new Fallout game soon but I don't think it will be released for OS X and I am not going to buy and install Windows for just one game, although it is my all time favorite game.

• by Anonymous Coward on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:18AM (#46283833)

Via DOSBox:
    - Crusader: No Remorse
    - Crusader: No Regret
    - Command & Conquer '95
    - C&C: Red Alert '95
    - Raptor: Call of the Shadows
    - Duke Nukem 3D
    - Quake
    - Descent
    - Descent 2
    - Fallout
    - Warcraft 1 & 2
    - Star Wars: Dark Forces
    - Mass Destruction
    - System Shock
    - Syndicate Wars
    - Pro Pinball (Big Race, Timeshock, The Web)
    - Grand Themft Auto
    - Earth 2140
    - Simcity 2000 Special Edition

Via VMware Workstation (Win95, 98, XP):
    - Expendable
    - C&C Tiberium Sun
    - Total Annihilation
    - Descent 3
    - Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel
    - Fallout 2
    - Diablo 1 & 2
    - Starcraft
    - Dune 2000
    - Simcity 3000 and Simcity 4
    - Homeworld 1 & 2 (I like to pretend Cataclysm never happened)

There are a few modern games I've enjoyed (Borderlands, Metal Gear Solid, Mass Effect, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, etc) but they tend to be few and far between these days. I'm kinda getting tired of the whole idea of "experience" and "grinding", hence the huge nostalgia trip. It's amazing how much gameplay a lot of those older games offered (especially the Crusader games), considering they were built by a handful of people and a five digit budget.

• by cyborg_zx (893396) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:35AM (#46283901)

- Duke Nukem 3D
      - Quake

You know there are modern ports for these such that you don't need to use DOSbox right? I'd recommend the JonoF port of Duke Nukem 3D along with the various hi-res texture pack downloads and models that have been made. If you're a purist this may not be what you're looking for but the extras are optional.

I can't remember which Quake engine port I'm using (not at home and there's an absolute tonne) but there's also a hi-res texture pack that was done for it and it really looks good without changing the style at all and I'd definitely recommend seeking that out to get the same classic experience with a face-lift.

Other game I've played recently a lot on PC is StarCraft II - again catching up a bit - and if you like StarCraft you'll probably like this. Best of all you can just go ahead and get the "Starter Edition" and decide for yourself. I particularly like the StarBattle Arcade game which you can play on that version I believe - it's basically capital ship battles with a bunch of smaller fighters like something out of Babylon 5.

I recently got a PS3 (it's cheap!) and have been playing through the "older" games I missed out on having not been playing games recently. If you're looking for something different I'd highly recommend The Last Of Us as this is basically what I'd think of if you asked me how an "interactive movie" should be done in that it tells a great story whilst also being a proper game in its own right.

• Xonotic (Score:4, Informative)

by future assassin (639396) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:20AM (#46283839) Homepage

And thats all everyone should play http://www.xonotic.org/ [xonotic.org]

I also run several modified Xonotic servers

Freeze Mofo (Camping Rifle Feeze Tag)
    Drive Mofo (Vehicle CTF)
    Mofo With A Shotgun (Shotgun only mod)

Here's a list of the most active servers http://stats.xonotic.org/topse... [xonotic.org]

Phoronix also uses Xonotic in their testing.

I have Steam with severral games but with them reading my DNS cache they can have the game back (ohh heh)

I also play these console

3DO
    AtarI Jaguar
    Dreamcast
    Saturn
    TG 16
    N64
    Game Cube

• by ihaveamo (989662) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:42AM (#46283947)

If you believe you have an IQ above your shoe size, and like open world sandbox games, I beg you to try this game. Its free. The only problem is that all games seem like two dimensional shadows after playing (and understanding) dwarf fortress. Download the lazy newbie pack to get half decent graphics and sound.

• by ledow (319597) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:43AM (#46283951) Homepage

- What's cheap.

I do not pay GBP30 for a game. I'd rather buy GBP30-worth of older games. On average, I'll get more value out of them even if there are a couple of stinkers in there.

Indie bundles are my bread-and-butter, provided the games are actually ones I've heard of or look half-decent. I can't stand "greenlight" or "debut" bundles filled with what should be freeware / beta crap. That sort of tat, I can get from anywhere on the net. But nearly the whole series of the Batman games and a couple of randoms thrown in, with Steam keys, for a few dollars? Please take my money.

Basically, I expect - at a minimum - 1 hour of play per GBP I've paid (about USD$2 ?). That's for a game that I find beautiful, amazing, fun, etc. The tat I take a punt on still needs to get near that for me to feel satisfied. And, obviously, quite a lot of games don't even get played for that hour.

The best games I've ever owned are quite literally into figures smaller than 1p (2 cents?) per hour. That's the standard you're competing against. Can't match that? Then I'd rather just play my existing games and not have to pay more money.

I'll go up to about GBP10 for a complete random game that looks fun that I've never heard of and is getting good reviews (from users, not magazines). I expect 10 hours of play out of it.

I will go up to about GBP30 only for real, huge, blockbuster, waiting-for-it-for-years, top-end titles that are going to rock my gaming world. The last was probably Half-life 2. The next will probably be Half-life 3. Because they basically earn that from me in the first few minutes of gameplay, and they are really the exception to the rule.

- What's on Steam

Steam availability is critical, but there are a few exceptions (mainly GOG.com). I don't have a single "gaming" PC, I move my games around. I do not "install" games, they do it themselves when I double-click them nowadays. I have one account I sign in to to get all my games, and all my games, savegames, settings, etc. are on that account.

Origin is a nightmare that I touched once and got bored waiting for a single game to download (literally tens-of-gigabytes of downloading, umpteen updates, restarts, etc. then more downloading before I could even see the main menu), then I deleted Origin - despite having about a dozen games on it from various bundles and duplicates I had.

GOG.com earns a place because it has one-click installers (for quite complex installs sometimes), the original untouched games, a single login and plain HTTP download of the games, no DRM, games you couldn't get elsewhere at the time, and cheap prices. And they don't spew crap across my computer.

GfWL doesn't exist to me except as a stupid requirement for a handful of Steam games that's slowly dying and being patched out of games, as far as I'm concerned.

Desura - a nice in-between of Steam and GOG.com. But the simple fact is that everything on my Desura account is either already on Steam or not something I'm interested in. I honestly don't think I've downloaded a single game from there, but with the indie bundles etc. I have probably a few dozen redeemed on my account there.

Anything else? Probably not interested. Can't even remember the last time I bought a physical PC game disk. Probably Half-life the original, whose CD-key I used to create my Steam account on the second day of Steam existing.

I was without a Windows PC for a while this year and gamed with Steam on Linux. It was great fun, and I was so glad of it. I have since remembered to fund games that I have that have Linux versions (on Steam or otherwise). Honestly, if it came to it, I'd game on Linux full-time quite happily. That only gives me Steam, Desura and GOG.com, really, and that matches perfectly to my Windows tastes.

- What's quick to pick up

In the same way that I don't have time to piss about installing games, I do not have the time to sit through entire games in a single sitting any more, nor to spend hours levell

• by heypete (60671) <pete@heypete.com> on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:44AM (#46283961) Homepage

Over the last month or so I've really been into Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I've been a huge fan of the original Deus Ex (and, to a lesser extent, Deus Ex: Invisible War) and still go back and play it about once a year.

DX:HR is a worthy successor to the original.

I'm also a big fan of the Mass Effect and Fallout series. I'm working my way through the Fallout:New Vegas DLC (in the middle of Old World Blues, having finished Lonesome Road and the main game itself), though I really prefer Fallout 3 over NV.

After finished the NV DLC I'm looking at Skyrim, though the fact that I'm working on a PhD and my wife and I are expecting a daughter in mid-June might cut into my Copious Free Time.

• by cpm99352 (939350) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @04:48AM (#46283985)
    I play Nethack, FreeCiv and Morrowind (and very rarely, Oblivion). I rotate them out as I get bored with each game. For the Oblivion series, the player add-ons are what kept me hooked - there are some truly awesome player expansions out there, where the player is able to make a contribution in the first place.
  • by Smivs (1197859) <smivs@smivsonline.co.uk> on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @05:03AM (#46284061) Homepage Journal
    is Oolite [oolite.org]. Good old Elite but brought into the 21st Century - free and open source and modable. Awesome!
  • by StoneyMahoney (1488261) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @05:07AM (#46284077)

Kentucky Route Zero cannot be explained to people, they have to experience the jaw-dropping beauty of that game for themselves. Ostensibly a point-and-click adventure game, it departs from the usual notion of narrative progression in some marvellous ways and all it's design and art features have been carefully polished to mesmerising effect. Currently has 2 of 5 episodes released and I couldn't care less how short each episode is or how long episode 3 is taking to complete.

• by polar red (215081) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @05:12AM (#46284103)

mostly Borderlands 2, some UT3 but I only play in LAN(my buddies come to my place) nowadays.

• by sociocapitalist (2471722) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @05:17AM (#46284123)

Chess - the only game that I never get bored with and always come back to.

• by RubberDogBone (851604) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @05:17AM (#46284127)

This is my first MMO and I found it because of the calendar art pages that were circulating last year. It wasn't even the titillating nature of the game -I had no idea about that. Just liked the art.

Found out there was a game attached to it and that I could play it within my own abilities and within what my PC could handle, and ended up playing my first MMO ever. That was 8 months ago. I am currently the head for two different guilds and manage to have fun with the game nearly every day. I've made friends in game who helped me through a nasty crisis last summer, just by giving me an outlet and a refuge from the real world chaos.

The sexy aspect that is the game's notorious point fades after a while. It's not actually as in your face as some of the videos make it look and the only players who get really fixated on that are the brand new ones. Most of them get over it after a while, or they quit. Those of us who have been there a long time don't really notice it any more. I play as a girl because I am fine being a guy in real life. It seems fine to me to game as a fantasy, same as if it was a troll or something equally impossible. What's the difference?

The game is not perfect. Early on, gold-trading was more or less tolerated so early players were able amass huge wealth for not much cash. Buying gold is now banned but the gold purchased before is still in play. This means the early players basically dominate everybody else because they can afford to buy the best gear which they resell primarily to their own levels. This leaves everybody else at something of a disadvantage.

The game has a mix of quests and PvP but the game all but says PvP is the purpose. The game wants you to spend money to compete on the battlefield. The questing is mostly just a way to gain basic skills and level up to a point. And then you are expected to be good enough to go kill other players. If you don't want to kill players, you can continue grinding out repeat quests but it's boring and slow. And eventually, you will have to go PvP. Surprisingly, this game seems to attract a lot of first-time MMO players who don't want to do PvP. It's fine to kill a monster but different to take on somebody with the power to kill you.

One problem with the game is that leveling up starts easy and happens fast. Literally, you can level from 1 to 10 in about half an hour. And new players get hooked on that easy leveling. 10 to 20 takes hours, probably over several days for most people. 20-25 is going to take days, easy. And slower and longer after that. My first level 30 character took a month of playing every day just to do level 30 alone.

This huge increase in difficulty and time starts becoming apparently around level 20 which is also when the supply of quests starts to run out before the level ends. Once players realize they have to grind, and that they will have to do a LOT of it, well, it tends to burn players like crazy. The attrition rate is probably around 90% at level 20. Net result is that only the good, or patient, or determined players hang on after that which is again what the game wants. Those top players represent another brick wall for new players who do manage to come up. You will be facing players who can eat you for dinner, and will do so.

From the game's perspective this is fine. The top players have an incentive to keep spending money to maintain their status. Perhaps a lot of money. It doesn't matter financially if hundreds of free-players drop out for every one player dropping hundreds of dollars a month.

I do pay to play. Spent money tonight on virtual warehouse space to store my game goods. Go me.

• by Tom (822) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @05:39AM (#46284193) Homepage Journal

Why are you assuming all /. users run Linux on their desktop? Maybe that was true 10 years ago, but it no longer is.

I run OS X on my desktop and Linux on my servers, and away from Windows.

So I play whatever makes the effort to be available on OS X. Both Guild Wards 2 and League of Legends were smart enough to create OS X clients, and there are a few indie titles like FTL that I love.

• Now I mostly play games bought via Humble Bundle and Steam.
    Most of the games are 2-3+ years old, I bought them there at discounted price.

Also some games on PS3.

Currently on PC (most recently played first) :

- Path of Exile (Diablo like)
    - World of Goo (very nice puzzles with a bit of physics simulation)
    - Antichamber (your own mind against you, quite unique game)
    - The Cave
    - Portal 2
    - Amnesia
    - Starcraft 2

On PS3 :

- Terraria (sand box)
    - Star Drone (flipper like, good ambiance)
    - Journey (mystical feeling)
    - Heavy Rain (multiple ends story, immersive)
    - Some FPS, Snipper I guess.
    - DarkSiders 2
    - Uncharted 3 Great Game, great memories, highly recommended
    - Crisis 2
    - Lots of demos

• Cribbage (Score:5, Funny)

by Rufty (37223) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @08:14AM (#46284739) Homepage
    And get off my lawn.
  • by Zedrick (764028) on Wednesday February 19, 2014 @08:40AM (#46284857)
    I can't seem to let go of it. Bought Civ5 when it came out, worthless dumbed-down failure. That was the last time I bought a game without trying a copy from TPB first

#2: World of Tanks - the only MMO I've never stuck with for more than a few days.
    #3: Crusader Kings II. Medieval strategy, last decent game from Paradox.

Apart from those I sometimes boot up Colonization (dos), Defender of the Crown (C64), Last Ninja 2 (C64), North & South (Amiga). All modern games offered on piratebay are extremly f'ing boring. BF4 - boring. Skyrim - boring. Assassins Creed 4 - boring. Gta 4 - boring.

Looking forward to Elite: Dangerous though.

"Just think of a computer as hardware you can program." -- Nigel de la Tierre