Follow Slashdot stories on Twitter

×
Programming

Ask Slashdot: What's New In Legacy Languages? 247

from the why-in-my-day-we-didn't-have-feet dept.
First time accepted submitter liquiddark writes "I was listening to a younger coworker talk to someone the other day about legacy technologies, and he mentioned .NET as a specific example. It got me thinking — what technologies are passing from the upstart and/or mainstream phases into the world of legacy technology? What tech are you working with now that you hope to retire in the next few years? What will you replace it with?"

Ask Slashdot: What's New In Legacy Languages?

• Re:Why .Net? (Score:4, Informative)

by Richard_at_work (517087) <richardprice@gmail.cRASPom minus berry> on Saturday March 08, 2014 @04:52PM (#46436331)

But it isn't restricted at all, as I've used the same .Net code in apps on Windows, Linux, IOS, Windows Phone, Windows RT and Android.

Add to that the fact that Microsoft is leaning more and more toward Portable Class Libraries delivered via nuget rather than monolithic libraries delivered centrally, and PCLs are targeted toward a base standard which runs on all .NET platforms (full, micro, WP, Metro, Mono) and its getting better all the time.

• by innocent_white_lamb (151825) on Saturday March 08, 2014 @05:30PM (#46436513)

Actually, I would love to find a method for programming Android in C and interacting with the user through webkit. That way I could create an app entirely in C with a html/javascript frontend to interact with the user without having to horse around with Java to get a usable app.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to do that yet. (If someone here knows how to do that, by all means sing out!)

The irony of mobile computing is how bloody difficult it is to write a simple C program to run on one of those things, even though Android is written in C.

Ya'll hear about the geometer who went to the beach to catch some rays and became a tangent ?