Slashdot stories can be listened to in audio form via an RSS feed, as read by our own robotic overlord.

×
Programming

Ask Slashdot: Beginner To Intermediate Programming Projects? 172

Posted by Soulskill
from the port-quake-3-to-my-microwave dept.
An anonymous reader writes "I've been teaching myself to code recently. I've made good progress so far, and I've written a bunch of little scripts to make my life easier. Here's the problem: most project ideas I come up with now either seem pretty easy or pretty impossible. I'm having trouble thinking of a project that'll stretch my skills without overloading them. I've tried finding open source projects to read through, but I run into the same thing: either it's straight-forward, or it requires reading a half-dozen dependencies, each of which has dependencies of their own. Anyone have suggestions on some intermediate-skill projects to undertake? Or some project files in an online repo that go beyond the basics without getting overwhelming? My language of choice is Python, but other languages are welcome."

Ask Slashdot: Beginner To Intermediate Programming Projects?

• by Adam Colley (3026155) <mogNO@SPAMkupo.be> on Tuesday May 06, 2014 @08:21PM (#46935771)

When I find my code in tons of trouble,
    Friends and colleagues come to me,
    Speaking words of wisdom:
    "Write in C."

As the deadline fast approaches,
    And bugs are all that I can see,
    Somewhere, someone whispers:
    "Write in C."

Write in C, Write in C,
    Write in C, oh, Write in C.
    LOGO's dead and buried,
    Write in C.

I used to write a lot of FORTRAN,
    For science it worked flawlessly.
    Try using it for graphics!
    Write in C.

If you've just spent nearly 30 hours
    Debugging some assembly,
    Soon you will be glad to
    Write in C.

Write in C, Write in C,
    Write in C, yeah, Write in C.
    Only wimps use BASIC.
    Write in C.

Write in C, Write in C
    Write in C, oh, Write in C.
    Pascal won't quite cut it.
    Write in C.

Write in C, Write in C,
    Write in C, yeah, Write in C.
    Don't even mention COBOL.
    Write in C.

• by Anonymous Coward on Wednesday May 07, 2014 @02:42AM (#46937213)
    You should believe him. He's an AI I wrote last year when I was learning to program in Python. Now I'm an excellent programmer.

"Who alone has reason to *lie himself out* of actuality? He who *suffers* from it." -- Friedrich Nietzsche