Become a fan of Slashdot on Facebook

Slashdot Deals: Deal of the Day - Pay What You Want for the Learn to Code Bundle, includes AngularJS, Python, HTML5, Ruby, and more. ×

Recommendations For Classic Superhero Comic Collections? 165

mvdwege (243851) writes "Due to being in a relationship with a comics geek, I have gotten interested in the history of superhero comics. I would like to get a better grounding in the Golden Age (pre-Comics Code) comics, so here's my question to the Slashdot audience: what are your recommendations for essential reading? What collections/omnibus editions of Golden Age comics would you recommend?"

Recommendations For Classic Superhero Comic Collections?

• Masterworks/Archives (Score:5, Interesting)

by Jiro (131519) on Tuesday June 10, 2014 @04:19AM (#47201213)

Marvel Comics has a Marvel Masterworks line which includes a lot of Golden Age volumes. They are very expensive, but there are also $20 paperback editions that come out 7-8 years later. []

DC Comics has its DC Archives program, but most of those never get reprinted in paperbacks and the program rarely releases much nowadays.

Also, something about this topic seems to bring out the stupid in Slashdot. No, Flaming Carrot is not a Golden Age comic.

"The most important thing in a man is not what he knows, but what he is." -- Narciso Yepes