Slashdot stories can be listened to in audio form via an RSS feed, as read by our own robotic overlord.

×
Portables

Ask Slashdot: Replacing Paper With Tablets For Design Meetings? 143

Posted by Unknown Lamer
from the where's-the-messagepad-now dept.
New submitter faderrider (3726665) writes I work in the healthcare design industry and our firm is looking to get away from using paper during our design meetings. My first thought was to load our reports and plans on a tablet, bring a half dozen or so tablets for attendees and somehow create a local ad hoc network that would allow them to view my desktop. A little more thinking brought me to consider the value of attendees being able to mark up documents on their own, or take control of what is being viewed to talk through ideas. Is anyone else out there doing something like this and if so what are you implementing? Specifically the challenges i see are creating the local network, establishing share/control relationships between tablets and managing any documentation markups attendees may make during the meeting. I am also looking at the Samsung 10.1 as the hardware but would be interested in any recommendations. I can also provide, most of the time, web access via my phone but would prefer not to rely on a service like WebEx or JoinMe.

Ask Slashdot: Replacing Paper With Tablets For Design Meetings?

• by Type44Q (1233630) on Wednesday July 02, 2014 @12:44PM (#47370277)

Replacing paper with Tablets

How about in the bathrooms? :D

• by TheRaven64 (641858) on Wednesday July 02, 2014 @01:06PM (#47370499) Journal
    Paper doesn't scale very well. I have a repository for a project that's been going on for a few years and has a few hundred photos of whiteboards. Trying to find one is almost impossible because there's no full-text search for photos of whiteboards. If you don't need diagrams, then running OpenEtherPad with a machine connected to the projector as a client and just saving the output is much better, but I've not found a good equivalent that supports drawing (especially not free-form drawing on a tablet or whiteboard and then automatically recognising shapes and handwriting, as the Newton's drawing program did 20 years ago).
  • by Cryacin (657549) on Wednesday July 02, 2014 @01:19PM (#47370617)
    The 3m corporation would be in dire straights where it not for agile design meetings. Nothing beats post it notes on windows, doors, other people's foreheads to get the creative juices flowing.

Computer Science is the only discipline in which we view adding a new wing to a building as being maintenance -- Jim Horning