Catch up on stories from the past week (and beyond) at the Slashdot story archive

×
Programming

Ask Slashdot: What Do You Wish You'd Known Starting Out As a Programmer? 548

Posted by Soulskill
from the how-to-program dept.
snydeq writes: Most of us gave little thought to the "career" aspect of programming when starting out, but here we are, battle-hardened by hard-learned lessons, slouching our way through decades at the console, wishing perhaps that we had recognized the long road ahead when we started. What advice might we give to our younger self, or to younger selves coming to programming just now? Andrew C. Oliver offers several insights he gave little thought to when first coding: "Back then, I simply loved to code and could have cared less about my 'career' or about playing well with others. I could have saved myself a ton of trouble if I'd just followed a few simple practices." What are yours?

Ask Slashdot: What Do You Wish You'd Known Starting Out As a Programmer?

When the weight of the paperwork equals the weight of the plane, the plane will fly. -- Donald Douglas