Follow Slashdot blog updates by subscribing to our blog RSS feed

What's the story with these ads on Slashdot? Check out our new blog post to find out. ×
Earth

Slashdot Asks: How Prepared Are You For an Earthquake? 191

With three earthquakes of some significance in the news this weekend (Chile, California, and Iceland), it seems a good time to ask: If you live in an area of seismic danger, how are you prepared for an earthquake (or tsunami, mudslide, or other associated danger) and how prepared are you? Do you have a stash of emergency supplies, and if so, how did you formulate it? In the U.S. alone, it's surprising how many areas there are with some reasonable chance of earthquakes, though only a few of them are actually famous for it — and those areas are the ones where everything from building codes to cultural awareness helps mitigate the risks. I'm not sure I'd want to be in a skyscraper in Memphis or St. Louis during a replay of the New Madrid quakes of 1811-1812, which is probably worth worrying about for those in the region. Beyond personal safety, do you have a plan for your electronics and data if the earth starts shaking?

Slashdot Asks: How Prepared Are You For an Earthquake?

I THINK MAN INVENTED THE CAR by instinct. -- Jack Handley, The New Mexican, 1988.