Slashdot stories can be listened to in audio form via an RSS feed, as read by our own robotic overlord.

Perl Programming

Perl Domination in CGI Programming? 432

Posted by Cliff
from the challenging-the-king-of-the-hill dept.
at0m asks: "Perl seems to be the language that most people use for CGI programming. But is there a good reason for it? Sure, it's easier to use Perl than a lower level language, but programs would be more efficient if C/C++ were used. Programmers don't sacrifice this efficiency when programming applications, so why is it the standard to use a higher level language for CGI, when one wouldn't use one for other programs? I've been using Perl for all my CGI projects, but for my next one I'm contemplating using C++ to make it more efficient. did I make the correct assumption?" Most CGI apps prefer development speed over the complexity inherent in C/C++, which is why Perl and other scripting languages are used. Your thoughts?

Perl Domination in CGI Programming?

I don't have any use for bodyguards, but I do have a specific use for two highly trained certified public accountants. -- Elvis Presley