Follow Slashdot blog updates by subscribing to our blog RSS feed

Check out the new SourceForge HTML5 internet speed test! No Flash necessary and runs on all devices. ×
News

Ask Slashdot: Geeky Volunteer Work? 229

An anonymous reader writes "I plan to be in-between jobs for 1-2 months later this year and use part of this time to do some volunteer work in Africa. My naive question: what to do and where to go? Is it possible to make good use of the skill-set of a typical geek? Any interesting projects worth supporting on-site?"

Ask Slashdot: Geeky Volunteer Work?

• Re:Why Africa? (Score:2, Interesting)

by Anonymous Coward on Monday July 25, 2011 @12:09PM (#36872660)
    Off-topic, but where I live, senior teachers approach the six-figure mark, in an area where the median income is half that. I wouldn't call them under-paid, but of my friends who are teachers, they still have that oh-so-wonderful "teacher personality". My wife (a former teacher herself) and I think it's caused by being absolute ruler of your small domain, and being the most intelligent person in your group for 6 hours a day. You start to think of yourself as more intelligent that everyone, not just the group of 9-year olds you normally hang out with. It just becomes how you interact with people.

Q: How many IBM CPU's does it take to execute a job? A: Four; three to hold it down, and one to rip its head off.