Check out the new SourceForge HTML5 internet speed test! No Flash necessary and runs on all devices. ×
The Internet Communications Technology

Ask Slashdot: What Is the Best Way To Become a Rural ISP? 239

hawkeyeMI writes "I live in a small, rural town nestled in some low hills. Our town has access to only one DSL provider, and it's pretty terrible. However, a regional fiber project is just being completed, and some of the fiber is in fact running directly past my house. Currently, there are no last-mile providers in my area, and the regional project only considers itself a middle-mile provider, and will only provide service to last-mile providers. Assuming this will not be my day job, that the local populace is rather poor, and that because of the hills, line-of-sight service will be difficult, how could I set myself up as an ISP? I have considered WiFi mesh networking, and even running wires on the power/telephone polls, but the required licensing and other issues are foreign to me. What would you do?"

Ask Slashdot: What Is the Best Way To Become a Rural ISP?

If at first you don't succeed, you must be a programmer.