Check out the new SourceForge HTML5 internet speed test! No Flash necessary and runs on all devices. ×

Ask Slashdot: Events Calendar Software For Local Community? 120

First time accepted submitter hughbar writes "I live in a London suburb that has many activities and classes, yoga, IT [of course], running, art, assorted volunteering and many others. With the help of the local council, we'd now like to make a centralised, searchable database of these, with a number of helpful features: Easy to make submissions, otherwise the whole thing will always be out of date; Web accessible [obviously] but mobile phone friendly as well; Maybe, publish and subscribe, so people can 'subscribe' to yoga listings for example; Handles repeating events, like a classical web calendar; Maybe, can be consolidated with nearby events calendars. I'm aware of MRBS and WebCalendar, but I'm wondering whether there are other suggestions, especially as this is a useful social application. And, yes, I'd like it done with open source, then we can tailor it."

Ask Slashdot: Events Calendar Software For Local Community?

• Owncloud (Score:2, Interesting)

by dimethylxanthine ( 946092 ) <mr.fruit@gmai l . com> on Saturday January 25, 2014 @12:59AM (#46064533) Homepage
    Though it provides a handful of other features, such as file storage and address books, it has a pretty robust CalDAV management interface, complete with user & group sharing and mobile device support - which is what I've primarily set it up to do for our SME without the need of signing up for Google Apps at $5 a pop.

Hope this helps.
  • calagator (Score:3, Interesting)

by everydayotherday ( 1291642 ) on Saturday January 25, 2014 @01:41AM (#46064717)
    What you're talking about is similar to Calagator in Portland, OR. The site is http://calagator.org/ [calagator.org] and has a link to the source code.
  • Re:Owncloud (Score:4, Interesting)

by DarwinSurvivor ( 1752106 ) on Saturday January 25, 2014 @02:19AM (#46064849)
    As much as I love owncloud I've found the calendar to be buggy when it comes to repeating events. Sometimes my weekly events will suddenly be a day later on 1 week. I haven't checked if it's only in the interface or if it affects the iCal interface, but it's something to watch out for (and test). Note: I have not had any issues with one-off events.
  • by hughbar ( 579555 ) on Saturday January 25, 2014 @06:16AM (#46065437) Homepage
    Although, this is [without a doubt] young male troll-talk, I'm going to answer:
    • - It's a lot simpler to find software that's as 'near' fit as possible, cuts down on custom code
    • - You may have to maintain custom code, to keep up with changes in the core project, additional resource
    • - This is a volunteer gig, so I'm anxious not to write thousands of lines of code for it
    • - It's fun for everyone to exchange information about this, it's a very common problem
    • - If it's a small set of mods, I'm going to try and get some of the local kids to do them
    • - [in reply to the specific trolly-talk] Nope, I'm not asking for community custom mods

Good luck to you sir, but please grow up a little!

When speculation has done its worst, two plus two still equals four. -- S. Johnson