Check out the new SourceForge HTML5 internet speed test! No Flash necessary and runs on all devices. ×
Businesses

Ask Slashdot: Re-Learning How To Interview As a Developer? 218

An anonymous reader writes "Earlier in my career, when I switched jobs every year or so, I was pretty good at interviewing. I got offers about 75% of the time if I got to a in person. But times have changed... my last 2 jobs have been, longer term gigs.. 5 and 3 years respectively, and I am way out of practice. My resume often gets me the phone interview and I am actually really good at the phone screen.. I am 12 for 12 in the last 6 months phone screen to in person interview. It is the in person interview where I am really having issues. I think I come off wrong or something.. I usually get most of the technical questions, but I am not doing something right because I don't come off very likeable or something. It is hard to get very much feedback to know exactly what I am doing wrong. I have always gotten very good performance reviews and I am well liked at work, but if there is one area for improvement on my reviews it has always been communication. So I ask, can anyone give out some advice, I have tried toastmasters a few times, but does anyone have other tips or ideas? Has anyone else had a similar experiences?"

Ask Slashdot: Re-Learning How To Interview As a Developer?

• by mjr167 ( 2477430 ) on Saturday March 22, 2014 @11:34AM (#46551857)

I once interviewed a guy who complained that he almost didn't make the interview cause he was still hung over from last night...

We didn't hire him.

• by hoggoth ( 414195 ) on Saturday March 22, 2014 @11:59AM (#46552065) Journal

>I suggest thinking vapid and friendly, like a labrador retriever, when you go into a job interview.

"Yes, I can write threaded code involving.... SQUIRREL!"

• by Anonymous Coward on Saturday March 22, 2014 @06:07PM (#46554331)

I disagree. Bears take a lot of time and energy to care for, and they occasionally attack their owners. Furthermore, bear owners say they will not bring their pet to work, but every one I have worked with has eventually brought the damned bear to work, usually because it was sick and he couldn't get day care. Then you have a sick and usually upset bear in your workplace and yes, it DOES affect everyone's productivity, always. If the candidate has a bear, I'm sorry to say I will usually pass.

"You show me an American who can keep his mouth shut and I'll eat him." -- Newspaperman from Frank Capra's _Meet_John_Doe_