Check out the new SourceForge HTML5 internet speed test! No Flash necessary and runs on all devices. ×
Cellphones Handhelds Networking

Ask Slashdot: Do 4G World Phones Exist? 259

First time accepted submitter Viv Savage (3679171) writes "I live in the U.S. but my daughter will be attending college overseas next year (Scotland specifically). I need to purchase a new phone for her and I'm curious what the Slashdot community would recommend. I understand that a GSM world phone supporting 850/900/1800/1900 MHz frequencies would give her the best voice support. There doesn't appear to be a solution for getting high-speed data (i.e., 4G) here and abroad with one phone. Have any worldly Slashdotters figured this out?"

Ask Slashdot: Do 4G World Phones Exist?

• Re:Nexus 4? (Score:4, Interesting)

by afidel ( 530433 ) on Tuesday June 03, 2014 @01:54PM (#47158433)

This line is such crap, the original bar for 4G was set so high that even the first round of LTE-Advanced wouldn't have qualified in many instances due to a lack of sufficient spectrum. In the real world LTE offers a low latency all IP transport which is sufficiently different from 3G technology to warrant a new label and the logical label was 4G.

I've looked at the listing, and it's right! -- Joel Halpern