Catch up on stories from the past week (and beyond) at the Slashdot story archive

DEAL: For $25 - Add A Second Phone Number To Your Smartphone for life! Use promo code SLASHDOT25. Also, Slashdot's Facebook page has a chat bot now. Message it for stories and more. Check out the new SourceForge HTML5 Internet speed test! ×
Python

Ask Slashdot: Switching From SAS To Python Or R For Data Analysis and Modeling? 143

An anonymous reader writes "I work for a huge company. We use SAS all the time for everything, which is great if you have a bunch of non-programmer employees and you want them to do data analysis and build models... but it ends up stifling any real innovation, and I worry we will get left behind. Python and R both seem to be emerging stars in the data science game, so I would like to steer us towards one of them. What compelling arguments can you give that would help an old company change its standard if that company is pretty set in its ways?"

Ask Slashdot: Switching From SAS To Python Or R For Data Analysis and Modeling?

"Our vision is to speed up time, eventually eliminating it." -- Alex Schure