Follow Slashdot stories on Twitter

Compare cell phone plans using Wirefly's innovative plan comparison tool ×
Technology

Ask Slashdot: What Old Technology Can't You Give Up? 635

An anonymous reader writes: It's the year 2014, and I still have a floppy drive installed on my computer. I don't know why; I don't own any floppy disks, and I haven't used one in probably a decade. But every time I put together a PC, it feels incomplete if I don't have one. I also have a Laserdisc player collecting dust at the bottom of my entertainment center, and I still use IRC to talk to a few friends. Software, hardware, or otherwise, what technology have you had a hard time letting go? (I don't want to put a hard limit on age, so you folks using flip-phones or playing on Dreamcasts or still inexplicably coding in Perl 4, feel free to contribute.)

Ask Slashdot: What Old Technology Can't You Give Up?

• Telnet-based BBS. (Score:1, Informative)

by Anonymous Coward on Friday August 29, 2014 @07:13PM (#47787811)

I've been on it since '93, and it's still going okay: telnet://bbs.iscabbs.com. (Formerly of UIowa, but split off some six or seven years ago.)

• Re: slashdot (Score:2, Informative)

by Anonymous Coward on Friday August 29, 2014 @07:25PM (#47787917)

Stop saying that. Einstein never said that. And he was a physicist.

• Re:Local storage (Score:4, Informative)

by kwalker ( 1383 ) on Friday August 29, 2014 @07:30PM (#47787965) Journal

If you're going to do that, at least use IMAP (Unless you're a Comcast customer, in which case, you have my condolences). IMAP lets you keep mail on the server and even organize it, rather than just having one huge Inbox. I use it on two desktops, a laptop, a smartphone, two Android tablets, and a webmail client (RoundCube).

• Re:Simple (Score:5, Informative)

by TWX ( 665546 ) on Friday August 29, 2014 @07:50PM (#47788117)
    If it's any consolation, I didn't use vi for close to 20 years, using pico/nano instead. It wasn't until I started working with huge flatfiles that needed hundreds of lines of regular expression parsing that I learned how to use vi effectively.

I'd say that if you really need those advanced features that vi is the way to go, but admittedly pico/nano is a lot easier to use otherwise.

As for what I use that's old, I have a Dolby-AC3-capable laserdisc player and more than 500 titles and an S-VHS VCR with about 850 titles on tape, I'm hesitant to buy a laptop lacking an optical drive (though my pickings are quite slim these days), I'm still using a Gateway 2000 "Anykey" PS/2 124-key macro-programmable keyboard manufactured by Maxiswitch, the vast majority of my computer monitors are 4:3 ratio, I still have my SCSI Jaz2 drive, my SCSI Zip drive, a couple of 3.5" floppy drive, and one 5.25" floppy drive laying around, and my daily-use TV is a widescreen, high-definition tube . It works great! Cost me only $40! And at 126lb, no one is going to steal it. In fairness, it fits the built-in TV cabinet perfectly and at the time a similarly-sized LCD model was close to $600, so it made sense to go with the tube.

I don't necessarily equate old with obsolete. Obsolete is when it doesn't do the job that you need done satisfactorily. In that sense my 20 year old beater $700 pickup truck with no straight sheet metal and worn-out steering is fine, as I generally only drive it when either I need a truck specifically, or when one of the cars is out of commission and I need basic transportation in the interim. I'm typing this on a five-year-old netbook with an Atom processor, and I only recently replaced my Xeon-Gallatin-based dual processor workstation from a decade ago because the thing croaked after a power outage and doesn't want to come back up. It was a great box for a long time, even with only two cores. It's been replaced with a newer-used dual-quad Xeon workstation that I expect to use for another decade as my workstation and the whole-house server.
  • Re:Simple (Score:5, Informative)

by nuckfuts ( 690967 ) on Friday August 29, 2014 @08:54PM (#47788517)

Actually, real pros use
    cat > filename
    then type Ctrl-d when done.

Seriously.

• Re:Simple (Score:4, Informative)

by Anubis350 ( 772791 ) on Saturday August 30, 2014 @01:36AM (#47789543)
    They're not (yet) at the 15c range, but if you buy in a large pack and don't want the fastest drives or USB 3 you can grab 4GB thumb drives for ~$2 each (~$1 each if you in 100+ quantities)- and these days be more assured that the person taking the data can read it easily
  • by macs4all ( 973270 ) on Saturday August 30, 2014 @02:04AM (#47789615)
    If you're handy, here's a DIY ADB to USB adapter:

http://hackaday.io/project/907... [hackaday.io]

If not, there are a few of the Griffin ones on eBay for $20-30.
  • Re:A basic land line (Score:4, Informative)

by TheRaven64 ( 641858 ) on Saturday August 30, 2014 @05:41AM (#47790061) Journal
    There are several nice features of a landline, but they can't (in the UK, at least) compete on price. The line rental alone for a landline costs more than I spend on calls on my mobile (pre-pay, no contract, no monthly fees). Calls from my mobile are 3p/minute, a landline is £16/month. I'd need to spend almost 9 hours on the phone each month before I spent as much on my mobile as a landline would cost me before I even made any calls. And then, for the kicker, the calls from the landline cost 9p/min (+15p setup) for calls to other landlines or 12p/min (+15p setup) for calls to mobiles. There's no possible justification for calls from the landline costing 3-4 times as much as calls from the mobile on top of the extortionate line rental. If I wanted to pay BT even more, for another £3 I could get free evening and weekend calls to landlines, but calls to mobiles would still be the same price. For £7.50 on top of the line rental, I'd get free calls to landlines, and calls to mobiles would only be twice the cost of my mobile. Almost everyone I call has a mobile though, so in exchange for paying BT an amount equivalent to about 12 hours of calls on my mobile per month, I could then pay double per minute what I pay for calls on my mobile with no line rental.

The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa