Wireless Networking Networking Hardware

Ask Slashdot: Why Does Wireless Gear Degrade Over Time? 615

from the indifference-mostly dept.
acer123 writes "Lately I have replaced several home wireless routers because the signal strength has been found to be degraded. These devices, when new (2+ years ago) would cover an entire house. Over the years, the strength seems to decrease to a point where it might only cover one or two rooms. Of the three that I have replaced for friends, I have not found a common brand, age, etc. It just seems that after time, the signal strength decreases. I know that routers are cheap and easy to replace but I'm curious what actually causes this. I would have assumed that the components would either work or not work; we would either have a full signal or have no signal. I am not an electrical engineer and I can't find the answer online so I'm reaching out to you. Can someone explain how a transmitter can slowly go bad?"

Ask Slashdot: Why Does Wireless Gear Degrade Over Time?

The universe is like a safe to which there is a combination -- but the combination is locked up in the safe. -- Peter DeVries